A warm, freshly-baked batch of cookies is one of life’s simplest but greatest pleasures, their soft and oozy centres whispering sweet nothings about the puddles of melted chocolate sheathed within. Unsurprisingly, baking cookies is a hobby in itself with the very activity as comforting as the delicious end-result. Gathered here are the best cookie recipes to prove it, from classic chocolate-chip to a brown butter rendition; triple melted chocolate brookies to Pinterest-friendly red velvet crinkle cookies; and everything in between. Bookmark this post for whenever you’re in need of creative inspiration or direction!
Collated with the inputs of fellow cookie monsters, here are a few tips to make you into a better cookie baker.
- Ensure the butter and eggs are at room temperature in order for them to emulsify better, lending to a smoother, more uniform texture.
- Adding cornstarch sometimes helps the cookies stay thick and soft.
- Do not over-mix cookie dough: you don’t want too much air in the dough, which could cause it to collapse while baking.
- Freezing the cookie dough ensures that you get a nice thick cookie which doesn’t spread too much while baking. It also helps enhance the flavour. If the recipe asks you to chill the dough, then chill the dough!
- Make sure you don’t over-bake: cookies bake once they are out of the oven as well, so don’t worry if they appear soft when you touch them in the oven.
- If baking two batches, never place dough on a hot cookie tray- wait for it to cool before you scoop it on.
The Best Cookie Recipes
Best Bakery-Style Cookies
Best Eggless Cookies
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: