If I’m being honest, I didn’t originally intend to share these chilli garlic ramen noodles on this website, as it’s quick-fix nature seemed more suited to stopping that scroll down reels on Instagram. However over one million views (and innumerable rave reviews) later, it dawned on me that this delicious “non-recipe” recipe is far too good not to share here too. Truly it couldn’t be simpler or more satisfying, delivering shades of heat with a whacky blast of umami flavours too!
While I’ve used Nongshim’s classic ramyun (Korean-style instant noodles), you could very well use any noodles of your choice. In fact, the beauty of this instant ramen hack is that it is endlessly adaptable – do feel free to play around with the base ingredients of the starring chilli garlic sauce, recalibrating it to your taste.
Key Steps For Making Chilli Garlic Ramen Noodles
- Cook your noodles of choice: I’ve used Nongshim’s classic ramyun (Korean-style instant noodles), but you could very well use any noodles of your choice!
- Mix together the base of your chilli-garlic sauce: To a heat-proof bowl, add lot of garlic and finely chopped spring onions, along with sesame seeds, crushed red pepper flakes, paprika and finely ground Sichuan peppercorn. Feel free to adjust any / all of these ingredients as per preference, adding more or less as per your taste. You could also swap out the Sichuan peppercorns for black pepper, if that’s what you have at hand!
- Pour hot oil on top: you could use any neutral-flavoured oil of your choice here (I used rice bran oil).
- Stir in soy sauce and rice vinegar: as a finishing touch, we add in a splash of soy sauce and rice vinegar (or regular vinegar) to add umami to the chilli garlic ramen noodles. You could also add a dollop of your favourite hot sauce/ chilli oil to dial up the spice by a few fiery notches.
- Mix in your noodles: finally, mix in your ramen noodles along with a bit of the noodle cooking water if required (to loosen up the noodles).
- Garnish, garnish, garnish: serve hot, with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and spring onions on top for pretty measure!
More Hot Oil Noodles You May Enjoy
Chilli Garlic Ramen Noodles
- 1 packet instant ramen noodles (I've used Nonshgim; you could use any noodles of choice)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp spring onion (green part) , diced
- ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tsp finely-ground sichuan peppercorns (optional but highly recommended)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp neutral flavoured oil
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar/ Chinese black vinegar (regular vinegar is fine too)
- hot sauce of choice (optional)
- Cook your instant ramen noodles according to package instructions. Drain, reserving the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a a heat-proof bowl, mix together the garlic , spring onions, sesame seeds, crushed red pepper flakes and finely-ground Sichuan peppercorns
- Heat the oil and pour it over the garlic and spice mixture. Let it sizzle for a few minutes.
- Mix in the dark soy sauce, rice vinegar and chilli oil if using.
- Add the noodles along with a splash of the cooking water if required to loosen up the noodles.
- Serve hot, with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and spring onions on top.
Enjoyed This Recipe?
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: