This decadent loaf combines the best of both worlds, with a gooey chocolate cake layered atop a buttery chocolate-chip cookie base, making it the ideal tea-time accompaniment.
Shared by 14-year old self-taught baker (yes, she’s just 14!) Elisha Parikh (a.k.a .“Elithebaker” on Instagram) – this eggless recipe is not only an easy one, but requires the usual staples you have knocking around your pantry. What’s more , any left-over batter can be baked separately in the shape of cookies and brownies. Win-win!
For the cookie layer:
- 160 gm butter
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 80 gm brown sugar
- 250 gm flour
- 6 gm baking soda
- 40 ml boiling water
- 150 gm chocolate chips
- 120 gm flour
- 60 gm cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 130 gm caster sugar
- 200 ml milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- Chocolate chips, to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a 9x5inch loaf tin with baking paper and grease with butter.
Start by Preparing The Cookie Layer:
- Cream together the butter and sugars.
- Fold in the flour
- In a small bowl, mix together the baking soda and boiling water until foamy; add this into the flour and butter mix, and fold well.
- Lastly, mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread a 1.5inch layer of cookie dough into the loaf pan. Don’t worry if you have extra, you can roll them out into balls and bake separately to make cookies.
For The Cake Layer:
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Add the milk, oil and vinegar and fold to combine.
- Pour this batter over the cookie dough layer, and fill until the pan is full ¾ of the way.
- Sprinkle over some chocolate chips.
- Bake for around 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before de-moulding and slicing. This cake is best served warm with a scoop of ice cream!
About Elisha Parikh:
Elisha Parikh, more famously known as “Elithebaker” on Instagram is a self-taught, 14 year-old baker. She loves experimenting with classic recipes as well as creating new ones.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – leave a comment below; and tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Still hungry? Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: