Adding to the growing trove of Paleo recipes on TFD, film-maker and accidental holistic cook, Shaana Levy-Bahl is sharing her go-to recipe for easy-to-bake paleo brookies.
For the unfamiliar, a paleo diet is one which eliminates processed foods, refined sugar, gluten, grains, dairy, legumes and nightshade vegetables in favour of real foods with naturally-occurring and nutrient-dense components. Think lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
Paleo treats are healthy, yes but oh so moreish too. These brownie-esque cookies (hence: brookies!) hit all the right spots if you’re looking to satisfy your dark chocolate cravings. They’re so rich and fudgy, you’ll never guess that in true paleo fashion they happen to be flourless, grain-free and free of refined sugar too!
Paleo Brookies (Flourless Brownie-cookies)
- 1 cup creamy almond butter (Shaana uses the unsweetened almond butter from The Butternut Co)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar (alternatively, use monk sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (Shaana uses The Natural Vanilla Extract from Sprig Gourmet)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free or vegan, if desired)
- Sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the almond butter, coconut oil, coconut or monk sugar, vanilla and eggs; mix together until smooth.
- Roll cookie dough into balls (you can use an ice cream scoop to measure it) and place on baking sheet.
- Flatten each ball with your hands until they are about 1/4inch thick. Sprinkle cookies with sea salt. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are firm but the centre is just about set. Do not over-bake these cookies or else they will become dry.
About Shaana Levy-Bahl
Mother-of-one, Shaana Levy-Bahl believes in the power of story-telling through her two passions: food and film. As a film-maker, she shares inspirational stories of women who have overcome incredible odds, with her most recent work ‘Ladies First’, a Netflix Original Documentary Short about the Indian archer Deepika Kumari.
Having battled ulcerative colitis, an autoimmune disease, Shaana is also an accidental holistic cook tapping into the healing power of food through a self-taught approach towards creating delicious Paleo meals and desserts. She has taken to sharing her knowledge to support those who suffer like she has, or anyone who would simply like to creatively support their personal gut health without sacrificing taste! Find her recipes on her Instagram @shaanalevy
Explore More Paleo Recipes by Shaana
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: