You might already have your go-to chocolate-chip cookie recipe, but what about a chocolate-chip cookie cake? Shared by Le Cordon Bleu-trained chef Shreya Gupta – of Mumbai-based patisserie Essange – this colossal cookie pizza of sorts is as heavenly as you’d expect. Soft, chewy and oh-so-gooey in all the right places too!
The steps required are similar to the method you follow when baking your favourite cookies, yet it all comes together in an impressively cakey form that’s certain to elevate your next celebration (or even a small gathering). Don’t forget to finish with a quick piping of ganache or sprinkling of funfetti for added flair!
Chocolate-Chip Cookie Cake
- ¾ cup (168 gm) butter
- ¼ cup (52 gm) caster sugar
- ¾ cup (108 gm) brown sugar
- 1 egg (alternatively use a flax egg; see recipe notes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260 gm) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup (120 gm) chocolate chips (we have used Callebaut 54.5%)
For the chocolate ganache
- 50 gm heavy cream
- 100 gm chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line an 8 inch pan with baking paper, greasing well.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla using a hand mixer (don’t use a whisk).
- Sift the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until fully combined and the dough comes together (don’t over-mix, as this will lead to a tough-textured cookie cake!).
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Empty the dough into your prepped baking pan. Evenly smoothen out the surface and add some chocolate chips on the top (optional).
- Bake for 20 minutes (or until the top is golden brown) at 180 degrees Celsius and then allow the cake to fully cool before demoulding.
- Once cool, pipe the chocolate ganache on the edges and add lots of sprinkles on top of the chocolate-chip cookie cake for decoration (optional; see below for the ganache recipe).
To make the ganache
- Melt chocolate using a double boiler or carefully with thirty second bursts in the microwave
- Heat cream in a pan and then pour over the melted chocolate. Mix until combined into a smooth ganache.
About Shreya Gupta/ Essange
Founder & Pastry Chef, Shreya Gupta, completed her professional hospitality studies at ICCA Dubai and graduation from Le Cordon Bleu London. Specialising in customised cakes, cupcakes and desserts for all occasions, her Mumbai-based patisserie Essange champions desserts which are made with high quality ingredients and a whole lot of love. Intricate detailing, attention to design and emphasis on flavours above all else, ensures that everything looks every bit as exquisite as it tastes! Follow them on Instagram @_essange_.
You may also like to browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: