The way I see it, people usually fall into two camps. The ones who love peanut butter and those who don’t. If you count amongst the former, you’re going to love what comes next. Soft and gooey chocolate-chip and peanut butter sea salt cookies that all but melt in your mouth! Savour these sweet-and-salty treats over a cup of coffee or even served with a swoop of ice cream!
Tips For Baking These Chocolate-Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
If you like your cookies crisp-edged yet soft-centred and gooey, be sure to follow these few key steps:
- Use room temperature butter: in order for it to emulsify better, leading to a smoother, more uniform-textured cookie.
- Use creamy peanut butter (not the crunchy kind): go with a commercial brand of peanut butter, rather than a more naturally produced nut butter which is likely to have natural oil separation.
- Add a teaspoon of cornstarch: to help these peanut butter and chocolate-chip cookies stay thick and soft.
- Do not over-mix cookie dough once you’ve added the dry ingredients: over-mixing will let too much air into the cookie dough, resulting in flat and undesirably-crisp cookies.
- Chill the cookie dough: just a couple of hours in the refrigerator is enough to ensure a nice thick cookie which doesn’t spread too much while baking. It also helps enhance the flavour.
- Make sure you don’t over-bake: cookies bake once they are out of the oven; remove them when their edges have started to turn golden but the centres are still soft to touch.
- If baking two batches, never place dough on a hot cookie tray- wait for it to cool before you scoop it on.
Can this cookie be made eggless?
I know you’re going to ask, but there is no egg substitute in this recipe. If you are looking for eggless cookies, you might prefer these recipes instead:
Chocolate-Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter, room temperature (regular salted butter is fine)
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 cup peanuts, chopped
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the peanut butter, egg and vanilla extract, beating again until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl;
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until combined – don’t over-mix!
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and peanuts.
- Cover the cookie dough with cling-film and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Pre-heat an oven to 180° C. Scoop the dough out onto the baking trays and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until the edges start to turn golden but the centre is still soft to touch. Don't over-bake these cookies if you want them to be soft and gooey!
- Let the cookies cool down completely before enjoying!
- Halve the recipe for a smaller batch of 6 cookies.
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: