There has been no recipe as highly requested on TFD as eggless crinkle top brownies.
Now, if you’ve been baking brownies long enough, you’ll know that the very notion of eggless crinkle brownies is something of a paradox, as that beautiful crinkled crust owes its meringue-like aesthetic to the combination of eggs and sugar. Achieving a tissue-thin crinkle crust without eggs? It’s always been something of a Mission Impossible, even for the best bakers. Until now.
Regular contributor Shreya Gupta (Le Cordon Bleu-trained pastry chef behind Essange Bakery) has cracked the challenge. The secret? Sweetened condensed milk!
How To Bake The Best Eggless Crinkle Top Brownies
No one can quite explain why, but condensed milk has often proven to be a perfect substitute for recipes for cakes and creamy fillings (such as lemon curd). Peg it down to its weird yet wonderful constitution, calibrated with a creamy sweetness that’s ideal for desserts. Here sweetened condensed milk holds the key to achieving a shiny crinkly top for eggless brownies too.
Key Tips & Steps:
- Melt butter and good quality baking chocolate over a double boiler until the mixture has just melted and comes together with a smooth and shiny consistency.
- Let the butter and chocolate mixture cool down, before beating in the condensed milk. Make sure you continue whisking this mixture with an electric/ hand mixer for five minutes. By doing this, we are incorporating air into the batter which in turn will create the crinkle top for these eggless brownies.
- Next, gently fold in the sieved dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder and baking powder) until just combined. Don’t over-mix at this stage as if you do so, you will let in air pockets into the batter and create cakey brownies (rather than a soft fudgy texture).
- Pour the batter into a prepped 6″ baking pan and let it sit out for 5-10 minutes before baking at 180C for 20 minutes or so. Do not over-bake these brownies, as they will continue to bake (slightly) when removed from the oven.
- You can always fold in chopped walnuts or more chocolate chips at the end, before pouring the batter into the baking pan.
- If you would like to add another dimension to these brownies, sprinkle on some sea salt before baking.
More Crinkle Crust Brownies
You may prefer this more recent recipe for eggless crinkle-top brownies, which are fabulously-fudgy and easier to stir together as the recipe relies only purely on cocoa powder (with no melting chocolate involved!).
Or if dietary or other restrictions do not prevent you from baking with eggs, you might prefer the following crinkle top brownie recipes instead:
Eggless Crinkle Top Brownies
- 120 gm chocolate (use good quality baking chocolate)
- 40 gm butter
- 200 gm condensed milk
- 35 gm all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 20 gm cocoa powder
Start by creating a double-boiler to melt the chopped chocolate and butter
- Heat about 2 inches of water in a saucepan. Once simmering, reduce the heat to medium low and add a heat-proof mixing bowl on top (placing it carefully so that the base is not touching the water). Add the chopped chocolate and butter, stirring regularly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside the bowl so that the melted chocolate can cool down.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line a 6 inch square tin lined with baking paper and grease well.
- Then add the condensed milk and beat for 5 minutes using a hand whisk or electric mixer
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Give it a good whisk to make sure it is well-combined.
- Now fold in the sieved dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and cocoa powder) into the chocolate mixture until there are no lumps. Don’t over-mix.
- Pour into the baking tin and let this sit outside for 5-7 minutes. Optional: sprinkle on some sea salt!
- Bake the brownies for 20 minutes (or so) until a toothpick emerges mostly clean (with a few fudgy crumbs attached).
- Let the brownies cool down completely before slicing.
- Double the recipe if using an 8 inch square pan.
- If desired: fold in chopped walnuts before pouring the batter into the baking tin. You can also sprinkle on some sea salt to give these brownies another dimension.
- For the ultimate treat, slather on salted caramel or banoffee sauce on top of the brownie before serving!
You May Also Like To Browse…
About Shreya Gupta/ Essange
Founder & Pastry Chef, Shreya Gupta, completed her professional hospitality studies at ICCA Dubai and graduation from Le Cordon Bleu London. Specialising in customised cakes, cupcakes and desserts for all occasions, her Mumbai-based patisserie Essange champions desserts which are made with high quality ingredients and a whole lot of love. Intricate detailing, attention to design and emphasis on flavours above all else, ensures that everything looks every bit as exquisite as it tastes! Follow them on Instagram @_essange_.
Browse More Recipes From Essange
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox:
This recipe is heaven in itself!! 😍 So simple yet so sinful! 😍 Felt like a true pastry chef when this turned out so well! I’d been desperately looking to find an eggless crinkle top brownie recipe when this one knocked on my door! 🤤
I’d bake this all year long, if need be😋
Definitely a must try for all chocoholics! 🥳
I tried the eggless crinkle top brownie which was just amazing. I was never able to get perfect crinkle top with right texture but this recipe is just perfect!!
This recipe is perfect!
I have never been able to get a perfect texture on an eggless recipe but this was was bomb!
Hello… Can I bake these in an 8″ Pan
Double the ingredients to do so!
You will have to double the ingredients in order to do so.
these brownies were so easy to make. didnt take a lot of time or efforts either!! the taste of the brownie omg 🥺🥺🥺 would rate them 10/10
Wow, thank you for your kind words of appreciation! You’ve made my day.
Brownies turned awesome. Best brownie ever
Yay , thank you!
This taste just so delicious 😋💜😍
THIS RECIPE IS DEFINITELY A MUST TRY, LIKE MUST MUST TRY!
Amazing texture ❤️
Loved em 💕
Fool proof for sure! Gives you the crinkle top most eggless brownies can only dream of! 🙂
I was desperately looking for a good crinkle top brownie and trust me this recipe is where you end your search. This is the #1 recipe I came across.
Hello, my middle of my brownies sank in the centre after I took it out of the oven. What do you think would have gone wrong?
Await your reply.
Best fudgy brownies ever.😍
I really really loved the results that I got. Quick tip, I’d say it should be in the oven for 30 minutes and not 20 minutes. 30 minutes worked better for me. That’s all.
Best eggless brownie recipe ever, I tried around 5-6 different recipes but none of those ever gave the perfect brownie taste and texture but this recipe was amazing I’m soo happy I came across this. These are the best fudgy brownies you will ever make at home.
Can I make a bigger batch?if yes how many times should I multiply.
Does this recipe have only 35 gm of AP flour? Is this correct?
Yes. But please do note that this recipe calls for a small baking tin (double the recipe if you are using an 8 x 8 inch square pan).
Perfect recipe for eggless brownies. Would like to know more about its shelf life at room temperature if I want to send it to my friends.
I’m afraid you would have to bake this and see for yourself , as the shelf life varies depending on the temperature and humidity where you live.
Perfect crinkle top and a very yummy recipe. The bonus point it is eggfree. My kids loved it
so pleased to hear this, thank you Supriya!
if i live in mumbai can i courier this eggless brownie of yours to seattle usa which takes about a week to reach destination
I have a query regarding the eggless crinkle top brownies.
Now doubt it is a heaven in taste but only in summers , here in Punjab during winters the brownies get so hard , that one can’t have it without. Warming it up .
Please guide me with the solution for the same .
Hi. What butter should I use for this recipe? Salted or Unsalted?
Salted is fine!
What tin was this recipe for? Thanks
What is the shelf life of this brownie? LOVE THEM NEXT LEVEL.
I found this recipe really useful and have made these brownies atleast 6 times now.
And today when I was planning to bake these yummy brownies again, I realized I didn’t share a feedback!
These are one of the best brownies I have ever had.
I slightly increase the amount of all purpose flour though, but the brownies turn out amazing.
Thanks for sharing this eggless recipe.
Does this recipe require no sugar at all?