Curated and shared by writer-turned-baker Jeena J Billimoria, this easy Snickerdoodles recipe is a timeless pick-me-up.
When it comes to festive baking, there are few treats more synonymous with Christmas than Snickerdoodles: thick yet oh-so-soft and pillowy cookies enveloped by a heartwarming hug of cinnamon and sugar! Of course, if I’m being honest, you’ll find our home filled with the cosy scent of Snickerdoodles well beyond December, as these cookies demand a spot on the baking mat whenever life calls for a boost of edible comfort.
What Makes This Snickerdoodles Recipe So Easy:
- No chilling requiring: you can bake these cookies without having to wait for the dough to chill beforehand, as the recipe requires a sufficient amount of flour, thus yielding sturdy (yet pillowy) cookies which hold up without any chilling!
- There’s no cream of tartar involved: purists would argue that a snickerdoodles recipe isn’t a snickerdoodles recipe without any cream of tarter. You can add a pinch if you wish, however, this recipe skips the cream of tartar to avoid the acidic tang that this ingredient would otherwise have added.
- Under-bake these cookies: under-bake these cookies ever-so-slightly for a soft yet chewy texture.
The Easiest Snickerdoodles Recipe
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy.
- And in the egg and vanilla extract and incorporate.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture a little at a time, until just combined.
- In a small bowl or plate, mix in the remaining sugar and cinnamon powder and then make palm-sized cookie dough balls and roll into the mixture. Coat the balls evenly.
- Place the cookie dough balls 3-inches apart on a parchment lined baking tray, and press down gently.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown, then remove from the oven and allow them to cool and set on a wire rack.
About Jeena J Billimoria
Jeena J Billimoria is a writer-turned-baker from Mumbai. During the lockdown, she set up her baking business from her kitchen and is now continually expanding her menu beyond her signature repertoire of brown butter madeleines, brownies and sablés. Before she became a baker, Jeena was a writer and editor at HELLO! and GQ. She occasionally consults on freelance editorial projects and posts easy yet exciting recipes on her Instagram page, Three With Jeena B. Follow her @Jeena_J_Billimoria
Liked this Snickerdoodles Recipe?
You may also like to browse:
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.