You might be familiar with a classic Burmese Khow Suey, but have you ever tried a vegan Khao Soi curry typical of Northern Thailand?
While the two dishes sound familiar, Khao Soi is set apart by the inimitably Thai-inspired flavours that give this curry a cosy depth of flavours. The secret lies in a curry paste blended with a mix of spices specific to this curry. While a typical Thai red curry paste has a fresher fragrance and flavour courtesy herbs and greens such as lemongrass and kaffir lime, Khao Soi curry paste is blended with a beautiful medley of spices including turmeric and yellow curry powder, in addition to lots of ginger lending shades of heat
You could attempt making your own paste, but I prefer the cheat’s way, relying on heaping spoonfuls of BeautyEats‘ new Khao Soi curry paste. Founded by Priyanka Mahendru-Seth the vegan brand masterfully props up this soulful curry with colourful intensity! If you can’t get your hands on a Khao Soi curry paste, it is perfectly acceptable to sub in red curry paste, albeit with the disclaimer that without the additional blend of spices, you won’t be achieve an authentic Khao Soi flavour.
Just don’t miss out on all the condiments to serve alongside this curry, especially a scattering of deep-fried noodles which add a savoury crunch to the proceedings!
Vegan Khao Soi Curry
- 50-75 g Khao Soi Paste (we use the paste from BeautyEats)
- 600 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup zucchini, carrots, mushroom, and any other veggies of choice.
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1½ tbsp cooking oil
- 2½ tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- flat yellow noodles (optional, you can use your regular Hakka noodles)
- thin noodles for deep frying (optional, you could just deep fry the leftover flat Hakka noodles)
- chopped celery and green onions for garnish
- sour pickled cabbage and bok choy
- fried chili flakes
- chili Oil (we use the Thai chilli oil from BeautyEats)
- light soy sauce
- vinegar with pickled jalapeños
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté veggies with the Khao Soi curry paste and 200 ml of coconut milk.
- Once the coconut milk reduces, add in the remaining 400ml of the coconut milk. Season with sugar and salt (to taste) and bring it to one boil.
- Play with the thickness of the curry by adding vegetable broth or water. Pro tip: add the water/vegetable broth in slowly and bring it to preferred consistency. Remember, since this is a noodle bowl, we recommend the curry to be runny.
- Adjust taste for salt and sugar.
- Cook the curry for 15 – 20 minutes on low flame.
Assembling The Bowl:
- Add the boiled noodles to individual bowls and gently ladle the hot Khao Soi curry on top of the noodles.
- Garnish with the suggested condiments and top if off with fried crispy noodles!
Liked This Recipe for A Vegan Thai Khao Soi Curry?
You may also like to browse…
About Priyanka Mahendru-Seth
Food has no boundaries! As life took Priyanka out of Thailand, a little part of the country traveled with her. Borne out of a quest to find authentic Thai flavours in Mumbai, she launched BeautyEats curated with the freshest produce and hygiene protocols. Today their products include Thai Chili Jam, Thai Red Curry Paste, Thai Green Curry Paste and Pad Thai Sauce. Rich in texture and taste, their mission is to bring you closer to Thailand one jar at a time! | Follow her @Priyanka Mahendru-Seth @BeautyEats.
Explore More Recipes From BeautyEats
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: