If you love Thai curries, you’ll love this simple yet oh-so-flavourful recipe for a Vegan Panang Curry from Foodhall Cookery Studio.
As with most Thai curries, the base has the familiar scent and flavours of lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves. Where this Panang Curry sets itself apart, is with the the texture of toasted peanuts pounded into the curry paste. It makes for a mellow yet notoriously nutty dish, simmering with your favourite veggies in creamy coconut milk for a vegan meal that’s as substantive as it is visually appealing!
Vegan Thai Panang Curry
To Make The Curry Paste
- 90 g red chillies, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 20 g galangal, peeled
- 30 g lemongrass stalk, pale part bruised, chopped
- 45 g (approx. 3 tbsp) coriander roots
- 20 g (approx. 4 tsp) garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 10 g kaffir lime leaves, de-stemmed
- 5 g (approx. 1 tsp) ground cumin, roasted *
- 5 g (approx. 1 tsp) ground coriander, roasted *
- 45 g (approx. 3 tbsp) peanuts, roasted
Vegan Panang Curry
- 30 ml (approx. 2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 150 ml coconut milk
- Water as required
- 10 ml (approx. 2 tsp) vegan fysh sauce (if you don’t have vegan fysh sauce, use dark soy sauce)
- 10 g (approx. 2 tsp) jaggery
- 2 to 5 kaffir lime leaves to serve
- 2 fresh red chillies to serve, sliced diagonally
- 50 g zucchini, diced
- 50 g carrots, peeled and diced
- 50 g cauliflower, florets
- 50 g tofu, cut into cubes (optional)
- 50 g pok choy
- 60 g cooked rice
- Soak the red chilies in warm water before blending the chillies along with all the other ingredients of the curry paste until a smooth paste forms.
- To make the curry , heat oil and add approx 100 gm of curry paste and cook for 15 mins.
- Stir in approx 200ml of water; add the vegetables and cook for about 15 mins.
- Add approx 100-150ml of coconut milk. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Add vegan fysh sauce (or soy sauce); grated or chopped jaggery and kaffir lime along with fresh red chilies; taste and adjust flavour as per preference, e.g. adding more jaggery for sweetness or more chillies for a spicy slant.
- Tofu / bok choy and shrimps should always be added 5-7 mins before removing the curry from the flame.
- Serve with steamed rice.
You May Also Like To Browse…
About Foodhall Cookery Studio:
Tucked away at the top of Foodhall@Linking Road, Foodhall Cookery Studio (FCS) is an experimental kitchen and a contemporary venue for cooking classes and workshops. Since the lockdown, FCS have started hosting virtual cook-alongs via Zoom. Discover their globe-trotting line-up of upcoming classes here. | Instagram @FoodhallCookeryStudio
BROWSE MORE RECIPES FROM FOODHALL COOKERY STUDIO
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox:
Your recipes are the bomb!!
Wow, thank you!