If you love Asian soups, you’ll love this vegan Malaysian laksa curry recipe, shared by Le Cordon Bleu-trained Chef Guntas.
Vibrant veggies, tofu and noodles bob in a brightly-flavoured broth calibrated with a spicy coconut milk curry. It’s aromatic and vividly colourful too with the addition of fresh turmeric root. This vegan laksa curry is a one-pot Malaysian-inspired recipe which is a substantive meal by itself, bringing colour, cheer and comfort to your table!
Vegan Malaysian Laksa Curry
- 6-7 medium shallots
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part chopped
- 40 g ginger, sliced roughly
- 3-4 fresh red chillis
- 1 inch fresh turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 bruised lemongrass stalk
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp chilli oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4-5 baby corn, chopped
- 100 grams tofu, cut into cubes and stir fried
- Handful of basil leaves
- 200 grams noodles, cooked as per package instructions
- Place all the paste ingredients in a blender and process until finely shredded.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a pot on medium heat. Add the laksa paste and fry it slowly for at least 15-20 minutes, stirring the whole time.
- Next, stir in the coconut milk and add in stock, 1 tsp of salt and the bruised lemongrass. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the light soy sauce and sugar; and add the chopped veggies along with the basil. Let it simmer until the veggies are almost cooked.
- Fish out the lemongrass bits with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Taste the soup and season to taste.
- Put your noodles in a sieve and drop it into the Laksa broth for 3/4 minutes while simmering.
- Divide the veggies, noodles and tofu puffs between 2-3 bowls. Top with the broth, blanched sprouts and fresh coriander and chilli oil.
Guntas Sethi Bhasin is the founder and head chef at “Chef Guntas” in Khar, Mumbai, specialising in customised cakes and desserts. She is trained in patissiere from Le Cordon Bleu, London; and is also a recipe curator by passion. You can follow more of her cooking adventures on Instagram @chefguntas
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: