This monsoon, find soul-stirring comfort in a wholesome vegan take on a Tom Yum Boat Noodle Soup. Shared by Priyanka Seth – founder of BeautyEats – this recipe is an elevated take on a classic tom yum soup (or tom yam, as it’s also known!), paired with rice noodles and finished with a gallimaufry of garnishes for a deliciously-satisfying one-pot meal!
What is a Tom Yum Soup?
The term “tom yam” are derived from two Thai words. “Tom” refers to the boiling process, while “yam” means ‘mixed’.
This bold but light classic Thai dish is distinctive for its amalgamation of spicy, sour & salty flavours with a beautiful hint of freshness. The hero ingredients are herbs such as lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal, which are indigenous to Southeast Asian cooking.
These herbs are simmered over low heat for hours to infuse their unique character. Lemongrass imparts a woody earthiness and has notes of citrus flavours, while galangal adds to the heat and kaffir lime brings forth the freshness with its floral undertone and citrusy freshness.
This vegan one-pot recipe pairs the hot & sour tom yum soup with noodles, so that it is a substantial meal in itself. To finish, garnish with sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, chili oil and some spring onion leeks to make this dish as attractive as it is filling too!
Vegan Tom Yum Boat Noodles
- 2 whole green chillies, deseeded
- 5 gm coriander roots
- 300 ml water/ vegetable stock
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 5 gm galangal, sliced
- 1 lemongrass stick (cut in 2 inches)
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 15 gm button mushrooms (roughly cut into bite size)
- 15 gm enoki mushrooms
- 1 tomato (roughly cut into bite size)
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- roasted peanuts
- chilli flakes
- pickled chilli in vinegar
- chilli oil
- Pound green chili and coriander roots into a rough paste and set aside.
- Bring water or vegetable stock to a boil. Add in the chili coriander paste, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass.
- Let the broth simmer on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and bring to another boil.
- Season with soy sauce, sugar and salt.
- Add in the coconut milk and constantly stir on low heat to avoid curdling of milk.
- Gently add the chopped tomato and bring to another boil.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- In a pot: boil water and use this to boil the noodles, bean sprouts and firm tofu.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles. Add chopped celery, green onions, coriander, pickled chilis, roasted peanuts and chili oil.
You May Also Like To Browse…
ABOUT PRIYANKA MAHENDRU-SETH
Food has no boundaries! As life took Priyanka out of Thailand, a little part of the country traveled with her. Borne out of a quest to find authentic Thai flavours in Mumbai, she launched BeautyEats curated with the freshest produce and hygiene protocols. Today their products include Thai Chili Jam, Thai Red Curry Paste, Thai Green Curry Paste and Pad Thai Sauce. Rich in texture and taste, their mission is to bring you closer to Thailand one jar at a time! | Follow her @Priyanka Mahendru-Seth @BeautyEats.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: