If you’re looking for a saucy pasta bursting with a caramelised depth of creamy flavours, this roasted red pepper and feta pasta should hit all the right notes for you!
Making this dish is nothing short of therapeutic, as there’s something rather magical about transforming humble veggies into roasted goodies. The charred texture of the red peppers combined with the tender sweetness of caramelised garlic cloves and salty feta creates a sauce emboldened by flavours that are part sweet, part spicy and wonderfully creamy.
As with all the recipes you’ll find archived in this foodie’s diaries, this one is open wholly to adaptation. If you’re not fond of feta, goat’ cheese or parmesan would work just as well. You could also roast the veggies on your stove-top if you aren’t keen to turn on the oven, particularly during the the warmer summer months.
How To Make This Roasted Red Pepper Feta Pasta
- Cook your pasta of choice. You could use any pasta of choice here – spaghetti, bucatini or even a chunky tube-cut pastas such as rigatoni. Cook the pasta until just shy of al dente (firm to the bite). Then drain the pasta, reserving the starchy pasta water as this is what helps to bring our sauce together.
- Roast your veggies. We will combine a sliced red pepper, onion and half a garlic clove on a baking tray. Drizzle a good glug of olive oil and your seasonings of choice on top , tossing well to combine. Then pop the tray in the oven to bake until the veggies are softly-charred and tender.
- Blitz together a creamy sauce. Once the veggies have cooled down, add the roasted red pepper and onion to a blender jar. Squeeze out the caramelised garlic cloves and add feta and olive oil. Add a splash of pasta water to blend until you have a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Stir together your pasta. Now gently heat the sauce you have just made. Stir in tomato paste, seasonings of choice and cream. Then mix in your pasta, adding more cream or pasta water depending on the desired consistency of your sauce.
- Garnishes. Serve this pasta hot, garnished with fresh basil leaves and/ or more crumbled feta on top!
If you enjoyed this Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Pasta, you may also wish to try…
Roasted Red Pepper Feta Pasta
- pasta of choice
- 1 large roasted red pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ head garlic
- olive oil (as required)
- ⅓-½ cup feta, cubed
- 1-2 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup cream
- sea salt
- black pepper
- chilli flakes
- Cook your pasta of choice, reserving the cooking water before draining.
- Preheat the oven to 185C.
- Add a large red pepper (sliced in long strips), onion (sliced in half) and half a head of garlic to a baking tray . Drizzle with a good glug of olive oil, black pepper and a pinch of salt. Toss well with your hands until evenly coated.
- Pop the tray to bake for 30 minutes or so until the veggies are softly-charred and tender.
- Once the roasted veggies have cooled down, add them to a blender jar, squeezing out the caramelised garlic cloves. Add the feta and 2-3 tbsp of olive oil, along with a splash of the pasta cooking water. Blitz until smooth.
- Gently warm the sauce up in a large pan. Stir in tomato paste, seasonings of choice (paprika; chilli flakes etc) and cream.
- Toss in your pasta, mixing well. Add more pasta water/ cream depending on your desired consistency. More pasta water will thin down the sauce, while more cream will thicken it with a creamy consistency.
- Serve with fresh basil and crumbled feta
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: