When it comes to Thai cooking, striking the right balance is an art to say the least, relying on the freshest of produce and ingredients. Authenticity is key, setting apart a colourful cornucopia of dishes with layers of flavours: sweet, savoury, sour and spicy, with subtle shades of umami.
If you’re looking for an original Pad Thai which hits all those right notes, Priyanka Mahendru-Seth, founder of BeautyEats, is sharing her signature vegan recipe. Having recently moved from Bangkok to Bombay, Priyanka has found a way to bring over the nuanced medley of flavours from Thailand too, in the superlative form of her curry pastes, chilli oils and recently-launched Pad Thai sauce! Bookmark her recipe for the next time you’re on a noodle kick.
Vegan Pad Thai
- 150 g flat rice noodles
- ½ cup beansprouts
- 1 cup spring onions, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cup finely diced onions
- 1 cup veggies of your choice
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster mushroom sauce
- 1 tbsp chili oil
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup cooking oil
Preparation for Pad Thai sauce
- In a bowl mix the following sauces:– 1 tbsp miso paste– 2 tbsp soy sauce– 2 tbsp vegetarian oyster mushroom sauce– 1 tbsp chilli oil
- Soak the rice noodles in regular water for an hour before stir-frying. If the noodles don’t soften out completely, give it a quick boil with 2 drops of oil and a pinch of salt. Rinse the boiled noodles out of cold water to ensure you don’t over-cook them!
Method for preparing Pad Thai
- In a wok heat ¼ cup of oil and caramelise onions and garlic in palm sugar.
- Sear veggies and tofu in the caramelised onion & garlic mix. (If the wok looks dry, feel free to add a little more oil to avoid clumping of noodles.)
- Add in the noodles along with the sauce mixture. Toss until the sauce is evenly blended.
- Taste for salt and adjust with additional soy sauce if required. Turn off heat and garnish with spring onions and bean sprouts. Give is a soft toss to ensure evenness.
- Serve immediately off the wok and be sure to sprinkle crushed peanuts and fresh lime on top for a classic appeal!
About Priyanka Mahendru-Seth
Food has no boundaries! As life took Priyanka out of Thailand, a little part of the country traveled with her. Borne out of a quest to find authentic Thai flavours in Mumbai, she launched BeautyEats curated with the freshest produce and hygiene protocols. Today their products include Thai Chili Jam, Thai Red Curry Paste, Thai Green Curry Paste and Pad Thai Sauce. Rich in texture and taste, their mission is to bring you closer to Thailand one jar at a time! | Follow her @Priyanka Mahendru-Seth @BeautyEats.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: