Have you ever made (or bought!) a big batch of Thai red curry paste, only to wonder what to do with the rest of it once you’ve satiated your fix for homemade Thai curry? Well as it turns out, you can put curry paste to creative use across a versatile repertoire of recipes! Case-in-point: these vegan red curry noodles, which combine my favourite Thai flavours with my endless love for slurping noodles! Watch the reel, here.
Tips For Making These Vegan Red Curry Noodles
- Make the curry paste a day ahead and refrigerate it to allow the flavours to really permeate through.
- Choose flat wide noodles, which can stand up against the curry sauce. While thinner noodles work too, the final dish could be more “soupy.”
- Reserve the noodle cooking water when draining the noodles, using this to thin down the sauce as required.
- Be creative when choosing veggies to add in. Here I’ve added an assortment of coloured bell peppers and zucchini.
- Garnish as desired. Finely chopped spring onions, toasted sesame seeds, birds eye chilli and peanuts add a final flourish to these vegan Thai red curry noodles.
You may also like…
Vegan Thai Red Curry Noodles
For the red curry paste
- 9-10 red chillies (you can use Kashmiri chillies)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 inch galangal
- 2 lemongrass stalks (each about 2 inches tall), finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- pinch of white or black peppercorns
- salt to taste
For the red curry noodles
- noodles of choice
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1½ tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 1-2 cups chopped veggies of choice
- 1-2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp jaggery (as needed)
- 1-2 small birds eye chilli (for garnish)
To make the red curry paste
- Deseed the red chillies before soaking them in warm water for 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1-2 tbsp of the water.
- Blitz together the red chillies along with the remaining ingredients for the curry paste, adding 1 tbsp of the reserved water if required.
- Cook noodles until shy of al dente. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of noodle water.
Prepare the red curry sauce
- Heat the peanut oil in a large pot/ wok.
- Once hot, add the red curry paste and peanut butter, sautéeing for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Next, stir in the veggies until evenly coated with the paste.
- Add the coconut milk and let the curry sauce simmer on the stove for 15-20 minutes or so.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of the noodle cooking water (adjust depending on desired consistency).
- Season with soy sauce and sugar as per taste.
- Add the noodles and mix to combine.
- Divide into bowls, garnishing with spring onions, chopped peanuts, fresh Thai basil leaves and birds eye chillies. Serve hot, with a dash of chilli oil on top!
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: