Adding to the ever-expanding collection of cakes on TFD, is an all-time classic. Pandering to popular request, Le Cordon Bleu-trained pastry chef Shreya Gupta (of Essange Bakery) is sharing an eggless version of a Red Velvet Cake lifted by layers of cream cheese frosting. Yes, this is the cake to bake whenever you craving something soft and buttery yet moist and fluffy with that inimitable tang of red velvet.
Speaking of which, what is red velvet I hear you ask? Essentially a cross between a chocolate and vanilla cake, red velvet cakes are baked with a tiny amount of cocoa powder. You might not be able to taste the chocolatey flavour, but the cocoa powder is essential as it reacts with the buttermilk and vinegar, creating that light and fluffy texture we love of this recipe!
Eggless Red Velvet Cake
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup refined oil
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp red food colouring (you can add more if you want a strong red colour)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
Cream cheese frosting
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and grease two 5" tins, lining them with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the oil and sugar until well combined.
- Add the yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice and red food colour and mix well.
- Now fold in the sieved flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Pour the batter equally across two tins and bake at 180°C for around 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, whip butter and cream cheese until pale and fluffy.
- Sieve in the icing sugar and add vanilla and whip until well incorporated.
Assemble the cake
- Once the cakes have fully cooled, remove from the tin.
- Spread ⅓rd of the frosting on one layer of cake evenly and then add the second layer.
- Use a palette knife or a spoon to cover the cake using the remaining frosting and decorate as you like.
- Refrigerate for 20-25 minutes and enjoy!
About Shreya Gupta/ Essange
Founder & Pastry Chef, Shreya Gupta, completed her professional hospitality studies at ICCA Dubai and graduation from Le Cordon Bleu London. Specialising in customised cakes, cupcakes and desserts for all occasions, her Mumbai-based patisserie Essange champions desserts which are made with high quality ingredients and a whole lot of love. Intricate detailing, attention to design and emphasis on flavours above all else, ensures that everything looks every bit as exquisite as it tastes! Follow them on Instagram @_essange_.
You may also like to browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: