There’s so much to love about a good sizzler. Packed with a perfect balance of carbs, protein and fresh veggies, sizzlers get their name from the sizzle of a searing-hot sauce being poured over a red-hot plate. The choice of sauce is everything, unifying the flavours and textures of the dish with a glorious intensity. If you’re looking to get started, here’s an easy sizzler recipe that draws a depth of Indo-Chinese inspired “hot and sour” flavours to pull together a substantial Asian meal that just happens to be vegan too!
Asian-Inspired Sizzler Recipe
For the Sizzler Sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp mirin
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp Sriracha or sambal oelek (adjust according to taste)
- 1½ tsp brown sugar (adjust according to taste)
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped green onions (white part only ; you can use the chopped green stalk to garnish the final dish or add it to your fried rice)
- 2 tsp chopped Kashmiri chilli flakes (boiled first and then chopped)
- A pinch of Sichuan peppercorns
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 -2 tbsp cornflour (as required)
- ½ fine sea salt
- good crack of black pepper
For the Sizzler
- 1 cup black or brown rice
- 1 – 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups chopped veggies of choice (baby corn, bell peppers, green beans, carrots etc.)
- Silken-Firm or extra-firm tofu (optional; press it between two kitchen towels to drain it of excess water)
- cabbage leaves (to line the sizzler plate)
- butter (for greasing the sizzler plate)
Remember, you can’t have a sizzler without a sizzler tray – a wooden tray over which a cast-iron/ metal pan is placed. This is essential for any sizzler recipe. For more on how to make sizzlers at home, do have a read of my previous guide, here.
Prepare the Sizzler Sauce
- Whisk together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin and Sriracha (or sambal oelek). Add cornflour, water and sugar and whisk vigorously until it has completely dissolved.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a large skillet. Sauté the chopped onions until they turn translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, peppercorns and chopped chillies and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the vinegar-based mixture and stir, cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Taste and adjust depending on preference (you can add more sugar if you’d like it sweeter; a dash more Sriracha/ sambal oelek if you’d prefer it with spicier. You can also add a splash of water if you need to thin the sauce down a tad to a pourable consistency. Remove from heat.
Bake the Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, greasing well to ensure the fries don’t get stuck to the pan.
- Clean and peel the sweet potatoes, cutting them into the shape of fries (about a ¼” wide and ¼” thick). Make sure they are of similar size (so that they bake evenly).
- Add the fries to a mixing bowl. Drizzle with avocado or olive oil, cornflour sea salt and a crack of black pepper, tossing together until the fries are lightly and evenly coated.
- Arrange the fries in a single layer (don’t overcrowd them on the baking sheet) and bake for 20 – 30 minutes or so, removing the tray at the half way mark and rotating it before putting it back in the oven to finish baking evenly through. Remove once the fries are crisp and baked to a golden perfection. Set aside.
Prepare Everything Else
- Cook the black or brown rice according to the instructions on the packet.
- Heat a tbsp of sesame oil in a non-stick skillet, slowly adding the veggies. Sauté until cooked but with a firm bite, before seasoning with salt and pepper as per taste.
- If adding tofu: heat the remaining tbsp of sesame oil in another pan. Coat the tofu in a bit of cornflour and pan-fry until firm and golden on both sides.
Assemble It All Together
- Grease your sizzler pan with butter and line it with cabbage leaves before heating it over a low flame. While it is heating up, arrange the rice, veggies, baked sweet potato fries and tofu.
- Heat the sizzler sauce.
- Once the sizzler pan is searingly hot, pour over the sizzler sauce. Switch off the gas and add a bit more melted butter along the sides of the pan for an extra sizzle.
- Lift the pan very carefully, placing it on the wooden tray and serve immediately.
For more on how to make sizzlers at home, have a read here.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.