This chilli oil noodle soup is a ten minute recipe that you’re going to be repeating on rotation because it is as quick as it is cosy and comforting! Not to mention, as with all my recipes, this one is endlessly adaptable to your choice of add-in’s to build your broth base!
The steps are simple.
While your noodles are cooking, gather together a few key herbs, spices and aromatics in a heat-proof bowl. To this, add hot sesame oil. Let it sizzle for the flavours to fully deepen into a chill oil, then stir in seasonings such as soy sauce and miso. Finally, add the starchy noodle water drained from your cooked noodles, before dropping in the noodles and other toppings of choice such as bok choy. Finish with a squeeze of lime and dive in!
Ingredients For Making This Chilli Oil Noodle Soup
For the chilli oil base
- Coriander leaves
- Scallions/ spring onions
- Minced garlic
- Grated ginger
- Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes; or you could swap in regular chilli flakes)
- Sesame seeds
- Hot sesame oil (or swap in a neutral-flavoured cooking oil)
- Miso (optional)
- Light soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- (Vegan) oyster sauce
To make the broth
- Noodle cooking water (that is, the starchy water drained from the cooked noodles)
- Cooked noodles
- Blanched bok choy
You could add:
- Soft tofu
- Cooked mushrooms
- More scallions
- Squeeze of lime
- Chilli oil
Steps For Making This Chilli Oil Noodle Soup
- Cook your noodles of choice. You can add the bok choy to the same pot while the noodles are cooking, removing the cooked bok choy immediately once blanched.
- Whilst the noodles and bok choy is cooking, gather together the herbs, aromatics and spices in a heat-proof bowl.
- Pour hot sesame oil on top and let it sizzle.
- Give it a stir, then whisk in miso, soy sauce, rice vinegar and vegan oyster sauce.
- Ladle in the noodle cooking water, mixing well to combine into an umami-rich broth.
- Drop in the noodles and the cooked bok choy, along with other toppings of choice.
- Finish with a squeeze of lime. Garnish with chilli oil and scallions and dive in!
If you liked this chilli oil noodle soup, you may also enjoy the following recipes:
Chilli Oil Noodle Soup
- 1 bundle of noodles
- ½ packet bok choy (thoroughly wash before using)
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves
- ¼-⅓ cup chopped scallions/ spring onions
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 knob of ginger, grated
- 2-3 tsp gochugaru (Korean crushed red pepper flakes/ or use chilli flakes)
- 2-3 tsp sesame seeds
- 1½-2 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tbsp miso
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp vegan oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- chilli oil
Cook the noodles
- Start by cooking your noodles in a pot of boiling water.
- Add the washed bok choy to the same pot and immediately remove once blanched (usually after a few minutes).
- Drain the noodles once they are just shy of al dente; and reserve the cooking water as this will be the base for our soup.
Prepare the broth
- In a heat-proof bowl, gather together the coriander leaves, chopped scallions, minced garlic, grated ginger, gochugaru/ chilli flakes and sesame seeds.
- Heat the sesame oil and once sizzling, pour it over the chilli-garlic mixture from the previous step.
- Then stir in the miso, light soy sauce, rice vinegar and oyster sauce.
- Add 1-1.5 cups of the noodle water. Mix well to combine.
Assemble the soup
- Add the cooked noodles and bok choy to the broth.
- Add a squeeze of lime on top and optionally, a splash of chilli oil too.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: