The Foodhall Cookbook series continues with Chef Kelvin Cheung’s Pumpkin Congee.
A perfect Sunday brunch dish (you might recognise it from his days at Bastian), this recipe is an Asian equivalent to the humble Indian khichdi, championing the comforting combination of pumpkin purée and sweet Jasmine rice!
The Foodhall Cookbook: Pumpkin Congee
- 1 kg fresh pumpkin, seeded, peeled, diced into medium-sized pieces
- 8 cups (2 ltr) water or vegetable stock
- 1 knob ginger, peeled, sliced
- ¾ cup (185 gm) Jasmine sweet rice from Traditions by Foodhall, rinsed well
- Salt, white pepper and light soy sauce for seasoning
- 1 cup (250 gm) pumpkin seeds, roasted
- ½ cup (125 ml) chilli oil (for garnishing only)
- ½ cup (125 gm) scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 gm) fresh green coriander, chopped
- Bring the water or vegetable stock to boil in a pot. Add the pumpkin and ginger; simmer until the pumpkin is tender. Remove half the pumpkin and mash or purée and reserve.
- In the same pot, add the rice and simmer until fully cooked (it takes about an hour or so). Now stir in the pumpkin purée.
- Season with salt, white pepper and light soy sauce; mix well.
- Serve garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds, chilli oil, scallions and green coriander.
THE FOODHALL COOKBOOK
Curated by India’s leading gourmet and lifestyle store, Foodhall India, The Foodhall Cookbook brings together a medley of globe-trotting recipes from a roster of well-known and much-loved chefs in the country. All ingredients are available at Foodhall India.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: