The Foodhall Cookbook series continues with Chef Kelvin Cheung’s Mapo Tofu Szechuan Peppercorns. A signature Szechuan dish of tofu, mushrooms and green beans with a spicy twist, this is a classic recipe to add to your repertoire of home-cooked Asian dishes!
Mapo Tofu Szechuan Peppercorns
- 1 ¼ cups /300 gm silken tofu, diced into big pieces
- 5 tsp / 25 ml sesame oil
- 2 tsp / 10 gm ginger, sliced
- 2 tsp / 10 gm cloves garlic, sliced
- 50 gm or 25 gm jalapeños, sliced or green chillies (adjust the spice level as desired)
- 6 ½ tbsp / 100 gm mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup / 60 gm green beans, cut
- 6 ½ tbsp / 100 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml sambal oelek
- 5 tbsp / 75 ml oyster sauce
- 2 tsp / 20 ml dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp / 15 gm Arqa Szechuan peppercorns, freshly ground
- 4 tbsp / 60 gm corn starch
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat the sesame oil in a pan on low to medium heat; add the ginger, garlic and jalapeños or green chillies (as desired); sauté until fully cooked.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add the green beans and sauté for another minute. Add the vegetable stock, along with the sambal oelek, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and Szechuan pepper; mix well. Bring to the boil.
- Add the diced tofu and heat through.
- Make a slurry with the corn starch and quickly stir in to prevent the mix from forming lumps.
- Serve hot, garnished with sliced scallions and a dash of sesame oil.
THE FOODHALL COOKBOOK
Curated by India’s leading gourmet and lifestyle store, Foodhall India, The Foodhall Cookbook brings together a medley of globe-trotting recipes from a roster of well-known and much-loved chefs in the country. All ingredients are available at Foodhall India.
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: