The Foodhall Cookbook series continues with Chef Gresham Fernandes’ sun-drenched dishes, which epitomise the beautiful simplicity of Modern European Cuisine.
A deliciously-easy way to start baking flatbreads at home, file this particular recipe for when you’re looking for a light appetiser or a flavourful bite to brace Aperitivo hour. Slow-cooked, almost melt-in-the-mouth onions served on top of long fermented bread with chèvre (goats cheese), olives and arugula… The flavours are moreish and robust, pairing well with a glass of red.
Caramelised Onion And Chèvre Flatbread
For the bread (makes extra)
- 2 cups (500 gm) refined flour
- ½ tsp (2½ gm) fresh yeast
- ½ tsp (2½ gm) sugar
- salt to taste
- water as required
For the caramelised onions;
- 1 kg onions, sliced
- ⅓ cup (85 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 gm) butter
- a few sprigs fresh thyme, picked
- 1 tbsp (15 gm) garlic, sliced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp (2½ gm) sugar
- generous amount of chèvre (goat cheese)
- 2 tbsp (30 gm) Kalamata olives, julienned
- 6-8 leaves arugula
- a few Arqa pink peppercorns
- For the bread, combine together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and water in a bowl; knead into a dough. Refrigerate overnight to proof. Remove the dough the next day and knock it back. Keep aside to rise in a warm place.
- For the caramelised onions, heat the butter and olive oil in a pan; add the onions and cook, covered, on low heat for 5 minutes. Add the thyme and garlic; keep stirring, in intervals, to prevent the onions from burning. Cook till soft and tender. Season with salt, black pepper and sugar.
- Pre-heat the oven to 250°C/ 490° F. Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Bake in the oven till it rises, forms bubbles and is aerated, do not fully cook it. Remove from the oven and while still hot, brush the bread with olive oil. Add the caramelised onion on top with chèvre (goat cheese). Bake again till edges are toasty. Add the olives, arugula, pink peppercorns and some more chèvre, if required.
- Serve hot!
You May Also Like
THE FOODHALL COOKBOOK
Curated by India’s leading gourmet and lifestyle store, Foodhall India, The Foodhall Cookbook brings together a medley of globe-trotting recipes from a roster of well-known and much-loved chefs in the country. All ingredients are available at Foodhall India.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: