How do you like your noodles? We love our’s searingly spicy, blanketed by a rich broth brimming with chillies and ground Sichuan peppers.
Yes, you guessed it. There’s nothing quite as cathartic as slurping a big bowl of Dan Dan Noodles, especially when we have Chef Kelvin Cheung‘s formula from The Foodhall Cookbook – a collection of globe-trotting recipes curated by our favourite gourmet & lifestyle store, Foodhall India.
Vegan Dan Dan Noodles
Dan Dan Noodles
- 1 pack dry rice sticks, soaked for 2 hours in cold water
- 8 cups (2 lt) vegetable stock
- 3 Arqa dried red chillies, chopped
- 6 fresh red or green chillies, chopped
- 2 stalks lemon grass, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 cups (750 gm) peanuts, roasted
- 2 cups (500 ml) coconut milk
For the mushroom duxelles:
- 1 kg mushrooms, de-stemmed, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh red or green chillies, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 gm) Arqa Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dark soy sauce
For the garnishing:
- 2 tbsp (30 gm) scallions, chopped
- Hot sauce or chilli oil, as desired
- In a large stock pot, add the vegetable stock, dried red chillies, fresh chillies, lemon grass and garlic cloves; simmer for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Then add 2 1/2 cups peanuts and coconut milk; simmer till the peanuts turn soft. Remove the pot from the heat and blend the broth in a blender; strain and season with salt and pepper.
- For the mushroom duxelles, in a large, hot pan – heat the oil and sauté the mushrooms until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the minced garlic, fresh chillies and Szechuan peppercorns; sauté for 4-5 minutes. Season with dark soy sauce.
- In a separate pasta pot, boil the noodles according to the package instructions until just cooked. Remove and place in a soup bowl. Pour the hot broth over the noodles.
- Serve garnished with mushroom duxelles, remaining chopped peanuts, scallions and a dash of hot sauce or chilli oil.
THE FOODHALL COOKBOOK
Curated by India’s leading gourmet and lifestyle store, Foodhall India, The Foodhall Cookbook brings together a medley of globe-trotting recipes from a roster of well-known and much-loved chefs in the country. All ingredients are available at Foodhall India.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: