How do you like your noodles? We love our’s searingly spicy, blanketed by a rich broth brimming with chillies and ground Sichuan peppers.
Yes, you guessed it. There’s nothing quite as cathartic as slurping a big bowl of Dan Dan Noodles, especially when we have Chef Kelvin Cheung‘s formula from The Foodhall Cookbook – a collection of globe-trotting recipes curated by our favourite gourmet & lifestyle store, Foodhall India.
Dan Dan Noodles
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serves: 2 – 4
This fiery Szechuan noodle in vegetable broth is classically served with minced meat. But, the earthy umami-packed mushrooms in this recipe are a good substitute.
- 1 pack dry rice sticks, soaked for 2 hours in cold water
- 8 cups / 2 lt vegetable stock
- 3 Arqa dried red chillies, chopped
- 6 fresh red or green chillies, chopped
- 2 stalks lemon grass, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 cups / 750 gm peanuts, roasted
- 2 cups / 500 ml coconut milk
For the mushroom duxelles:
- 1 kg mushrooms, de-stemmed, chopped
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml vegetable oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh red or green chillies, chopped
- 3 tbsp / 45 gm Arqa Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml dark soy sauce
For the garnishing:
- 2 tbsp / 30 gm scallions, chopped
- Hot sauce or chilli oil, as desired
- In a large stock pot, add the vegetable stock, dried red chillies, fresh chillies, lemon grass and garlic cloves; simmer for 30 – 40 minutes. Then add 2 1/2 cups peanuts and coconut milk; simmer till the peanuts turn soft. Remove the pot from the heat and blend the broth in a blender; strain and season with salt and pepper.
- For the mushroom duxelles, in a large, hot pan – heat the oil and sauté the mushrooms until all the liquid is absorbed. Add the minced garlic, fresh chillies and Szechuan peppercorns; sauté for 4-5 minutes. Season with dark soy sauce.
- In a separate pasta pot, boil the noodles according to the package instructions until just cooked. Remove and place in a soup bowl. Pour the hot broth over the noodles.
- Serve garnished with mushroom duxelles, remaining chopped peanuts, scallions and a dash of hot sauce or chilli oil.
THE FOODHALL COOKBOOK
Curated by India’s leading gourmet and lifestyle store, Foodhall India, The Foodhall Cookbook brings together a medley of globe-trotting recipes from a roster of well-known and much-loved chefs in the country. All ingredients are available at Foodhall India.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – leave a comment below; and tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Still hungry? Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: