How do you like your noodles? We love our’s searingly spicy, blanketed by a rich broth brimming with chillies and ground Sichuan peppers.
Yes, you guessed it. There’s nothing quite as cathartic as slurping a big bowl of Dan Dan Noodles, especially when we have Chef Kelvin Cheung‘s formula from The Foodhall Cookbook – a collection of globe-trotting recipes curated by our favourite gourmet & lifestyle store, Foodhall India.
Vegan Dan Dan Noodles
Dan Dan Noodles
- 1 pack dry rice sticks, soaked for 2 hours in cold water
- 8 cups (2 lt) vegetable stock
- 3 Arqa dried red chillies, chopped
- 6 fresh red or green chillies, chopped
- 2 stalks lemon grass, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 cups (750 gm) peanuts, roasted
- 2 cups (500 ml) coconut milk
For the mushroom duxelles:
- 1 kg mushrooms, de-stemmed, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh red or green chillies, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 gm) Arqa Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dark soy sauce
For the garnishing:
- 2 tbsp (30 gm) scallions, chopped
- Hot sauce or chilli oil, as desired
- In a large stock pot, add the vegetable stock, dried red chillies, fresh chillies, lemon grass and garlic cloves; simmer for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Then add 2 1/2 cups peanuts and coconut milk; simmer till the peanuts turn soft. Remove the pot from the heat and blend the broth in a blender; strain and season with salt and pepper.
- For the mushroom duxelles, in a large, hot pan – heat the oil and sauté the mushrooms until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the minced garlic, fresh chillies and Szechuan peppercorns; sauté for 4-5 minutes. Season with dark soy sauce.
- In a separate pasta pot, boil the noodles according to the package instructions until just cooked. Remove and place in a soup bowl. Pour the hot broth over the noodles.
- Serve garnished with mushroom duxelles, remaining chopped peanuts, scallions and a dash of hot sauce or chilli oil.
THE FOODHALL COOKBOOK
Curated by India’s leading gourmet and lifestyle store, Foodhall India, The Foodhall Cookbook brings together a medley of globe-trotting recipes from a roster of well-known and much-loved chefs in the country. All ingredients are available at Foodhall India.
BROWSE MORE RECIPES FROM FOODHALL
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: