As addictive as the baking bug is, there are those (increasingly frequent!) moments when one simply wants a quick fix without the hassle of oven-time, let alone the lengthy 20 minutes or so required for a hot bake to cool-off on a wiring rack.
The solution is as conveniently-simple as it is primed for instant gratification. A good ole fashioned mug cake. Mix all your ingredients in one bowl, transfer to a mug, pop it in a microwave and a minute later, voilà! You have a satisfyingly-sweet and cakey dessert, perfectly proportioned for one!
Smriti Mehra – Le Cordon Bleu-trained patissier extraordinaire behind the droolworthy desserts of Parfait – shares with us her signature recipe, which also happens to be vegan-friendly and gluten-free! Sweetened with honey (or maple syrup), packing in the fibre-rich nutrition of oats and a nutty kick of protein – this chocolate-chip mug cake could in fact be deemed perfectly acceptable for breakfast too! Just saying.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp oat flour (plain oats ground into a flour in the food processor; use gluten-free oats if allergic/intolerant to gluten)
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp almond/ peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/ honey (use maple syrup for a vegan option)
- 3 tbsp milk of choice (use non-dairy mylk for a vegan option)
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- Mix the oat flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder and baking powder bowl; then add the almond butter, milk and maple syrup. Mix to combine, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer into a lightly oiled ramekin/mug. Microwave on high for 1 – 1.5 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before tucking in! You could also serve it with ice cream to make it an extra decadent treat!
About Smriti Mehra / Parfait
Parfait is French for perfection. A fitting name for the company’s impeccable and inexplicably-craveable desserts, ranging from healthy cakes and keto-friendly chocolates to Espresso Tarts, Nutella Marble Crunch Cakes and all manners of creative pastries! Parfait is founded and run by Le Cordon Bleu-trained Smriti Mehra. Follow her on Instagram @ParfaitIndia.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – leave a comment below; and tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Still hungry? Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: