Literally translating to “pick-me-up” in Italian, is there anything as uplifting as a classic tiramisu! Pandering to reader requests for more egg-free recipes, this eggless tiramisu sponge cake offers a decadent take on the classic Italian dessert with creamy layers of mascarpone sandwiched between soft coffee-kissed slices of sponge cake. You can use any sponge cake you like here – bakery-bought works just as well as homemade. Bookmark this recipe as the perfect pick-me-up when you need one!
- Brewed coffee: From French Press to Moka Pot, you can use any method of your choice to brew fresh coffee; or you could simply make instant coffee. The stronger your coffee, the more it will infuse its richness into the sponge cake.
- Whipping cream: Use heavy whipping cream which can be beaten to stiff peaks. If you only have Amul fresh cream available, do have a read of this previous guide which has handy hacks for whipping fresh cream.
- Mascarpone cheese: Soft and creamy mascarpone is essential to any tiramisu recipe! It cannot be substituted for another cheese. Pro Tip: ensure that the mascarpone is at room temperature before beating it, for a smoother lump-free texture.
- Icing/ powdered sugar: This adds sweetness to our eggless tiramisu sponge cake.
- Vanilla: A splash of vanilla extract works wonders in enhancing the overall flavours of the recipe.
- Cocoa powder: While cocoa powder is typically used to dust the finished tiramisu as a garnish, here we are also adding a layer of cocoa powder between the sponge cake slices.
- Sponge cake: While tiramisu is traditionally made with “saviordi” or lady finger biscuits, here we are using a classic eggless sponge cake to add layers to our tiramisu cake. You can use any sponge cake you like; if you fancy baking it yourself beforehand, you can scale up my favourite eggless recipe (linked below) – just double or triple the ingredients to bake a large enough loaf for this cake:
More Tips For Making This Eggless Tiramisu Sponge Cake
- Be gentle when folding in your whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture, to ensure that the tiramisu filling is light and airy.
- Be quick when dipping your sponge cake slices into the coffee. While we want each slice to be evenly soaked in the coffee, we don’t want a soggy mess on our hands either!
- Don’t be impatient! Let your tiramisu sponge cake refrigerate for at least a few hours (preferably 12 hours) in order for the cake to set and the flavours to really shine through!
Eggless Tiramisu Sponge Cake
- ¾ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups strongly brewed coffee
- 14-16 small sponge cake slices
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Start by preparing your hot coffee – you can use any brewing method of your choice or make instant coffee. Pour the hot coffee out into a medium sized bowl, so that it can cool down slightly.
- Beat the heavy creamy to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mascarpone, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Then gently fold in the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until smoothly combined.
- Lightly dip the sponge cake slices into the coffee (do so quickly so the cake doesn’t become soggy!) and line a glass/ ceramic dish with a layer of these soaked cake slices.
- Spread a generous layer of mascarpone on top and dust with cocoa powder.
- Repeat the process again and dust with cocoa powder to finish.
- Refrigerate for a few hours/ overnight until set ; then enjoy!
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: