These basil scallion oil noodles are perfect for the days when you don’t really feel like cooking but are craving something fresh and vibrant. With close to two million views on reels, the recipe is definitely one of my most popular ones and with good reason. It comes together in about ten minutes and is bursting with an intensity of herby flavours.
We start with a base of herbs, aromatics, garlic and spices. Next, we pour in hot oil and allow the garlicky-herby mixture to sizzle before seasoning with a splash of soy sauce and lemon juice. All that’s left to do is toss in our noodles of choice, give it a stir and dive in! It really is this simple.
As with all my recipes, you can adjust the ingredients to your liking, recalibrating the ratio of herbs to your preference and adjusting the aromatics and spices too. For instance, I often add an extra kick of ginger if I’m feeling sniffly, as just a pinch does wonders in adding a restorative boost to my day.
Ingredients Required For These Basil Scallion Oil Noodles
- Basil leaves
- Coriander/ cilantro
- Gochugaru/ chilli flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Neutral-flavoured oil
- Light soy sauce
- Dark soy sauce (or simply add more light soy sauce)
- Lemon juice
- Cooked noodles
Which oil is best for these Basil Scallion Oil Noodles?
This is the question I’m often asked for any recipe involving hot oil!
Since we will be heating up the oil until it is sizzling, it is important to use an oil with a high smoke point. Secondly, it is important to use a neutral-flavoured oil, that is an oil which does not impart any lingering flavours which could overwhelm the flavours of our dish. This is why olive oil is usually not suitable for chilli oil-based recipes. Neutral oils with a higher smoke point include:
- Vegetable oil or canola oil
- Rice bran oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Avocado oil
If you wish, you could swap in a few tbsp of sesame oil to add a nutty undertone to this recipe. So if the recipe calls for 3-4 tbsp of oil, you could use 2 tbsp of a neutral oil and 1-2 tbsp of sesame oil.
If you enjoy these basil scallion oil noodles, you may also like to browse more quick and comforting recipes from our archives:
Basil Scallion Oil Noodles
- 1 packet of noodles
- ½ cup finely-chopped basil leaves
- ¼ cup finely-chopped scallions
- 2-4 tbsp cilantro/ coriander leaves
- 1-2½ tbsp grated ginger
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tsp gochugaru / chilli flakes
- 2-3 tsp sesame seeds
- 3-4 tbsp neutral flavoured oil (you could also swap in a few tbsp of sesame oil)
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- juice of a lemon
- Cook noodles of choice according to packet instructions.
- To a heat-proof bowl, add the basil leaves, scallions, cilantro, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds and chilli flakes.
- Heat the oil until sizzling. Then pour it over the herby mixture. Let it sizzle
- Stir in the soy sauces and lemon juice. Give it a good whisk.
- Toss in your cooked noodles, mixing well to combine. Garnish with more chopped basil and scallions and DIVE IN!
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: