When life gives you lemons, bake a lemon tea cake with a berry delicious spin!
Smriti Mehra of Parfait Bakery shares her beautiful recipe for a Berry Lemon Cake. Loaded with berries, every bite has sweet pops of juicy blueberries and raspberries, with a zing of lemon. It’s not too sweet and not too tangy, but just right.
It’s easy to make and delicious to have for a tea-time treat. Serve with some fresh berries and a dollop of cream.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus additional for pan) + 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- lime juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp lime & orange zest
- ½ cup berries
For the glaze:
- Juice of 1 orange & ½ lemon
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut flour & baking powder and keep aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter ( room temperature) and coconut sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. [You can use a hand mixer if you don’t have a stand mixer]
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and the lime juice. Then alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Fold in the lime & orange zest and mixed berries.
- Prepare a 8”x4” (1½-pound) loaf pan with butter and flour then evenly spread the batter in the pan. Bake until a toothpick or knife inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then remove the cake from the pan.
For the glaze
- In a bowl mix the above ingredients together and keep aside.
- Once your cake is out of the oven, brush the glaze while the cake is in the pan to make the cake very moist. After it cools down, de-mould the cake and brush with glaze again.
Serve with some fresh berries, a dollop of cream. This is best had with a cup of mint tea for a delicious summer treat.
About Smriti Mehra / Parfait
Parfait is French for perfection. A fitting name for the company’s impeccable and inexplicably-craveable desserts, ranging from healthy cakes and keto-friendly chocolates to Espresso Tarts, Nutella Marble Crunch Cakes and all manners of creative pastries! Parfait is founded and run by Le Cordon Bleu-trained Smriti Mehra. Follow her on Instagram @ParfaitIndia.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – leave a comment below; and tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Still hungry? Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: