When life gives you lemons, bake a zingy lemon cake with a berry delicious spin!
Smriti Mehra of Parfait Bakery shares her beautiful recipe for a Berry Lemon Tea Cake. Loaded with berries, every bite has sweet pops of juicy blueberries and raspberries, with a zing of lemon. It’s not too sweet and not too tangy, but just right. It’s easy to make and delicious to have for a tea-time treat. Serve with some fresh berries and a dollop of cream.
Berry Lemon Tea Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus additional for pan) + 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- lime juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp lime & orange zest
- ½ cup berries
For the glaze:
- juice of 1 orange & ½ lemon
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut flour & baking powder and keep aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter ( room temperature) and coconut sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. [You can use a hand mixer if you don’t have a stand mixer]
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and the lime juice.
- Then alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Fold in the lime & orange zest and mixed berries.
- Prepare a 8”x4” (1½-pound) loaf pan with butter and flour then evenly spread the batter in the pan. Bake until a toothpick or knife inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then remove the cake from the pan.
For the glaze
- In a bowl mix the above ingredients together and keep aside.
- Once your cake is out of the oven, brush the glaze while the cake is in the pan to make the cake very moist. After it cools down, de-mould the cake and brush with glaze again.
- Serve with some fresh berries, a dollop of cream. This is best had with a cup of mint tea for a delicious summer treat.
About Smriti Mehra / Parfait
Parfait is French for perfection. A fitting name for the company’s impeccable and inexplicably-craveable desserts, ranging from healthy cakes and keto-friendly chocolates to Espresso Tarts, Nutella Marble Crunch Cakes and all manners of creative pastries! Parfait is founded and run by Le Cordon Bleu-trained Smriti Mehra. Follow her on Instagram @ParfaitIndia.
BROWSE MORE RECIPES FROM PARFAIT
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: