If you love a good fried rice recipe, you need to try this garlic and scallion fried rice.
It comes together in ten minutes and is a fragrant dish emboldened by golden-fried garlic and caramelised scallions. A grated knob of ginger adds heart-warming heat, while a dollop of chilli oil is the final touch adding a fiery depth of flavour.
This is a dish as simple as it is soul-stirring. You can enjoy it on its own or serve it with a fried egg piled on top for a very wholesome meal in itself.
Ingredients For This Garlic Scallion Fried Rice
- Cooked leftover rice: as it is dryer than freshly-cooked rice (which tends to be more moist), leftover rice has the perfect texture for a good fried rice recipe and enhances the flavours of the hero ingredients rather than overwhelming them.
- Garlic: thinly slice the garlic for texture, making sure to set aside a few fried garlic “chips” for garnish.
- Ginger: a grated knob of ginger adds a hot and peppery touch to our fried rice.
- Scallions/ spring onions: these add fragrance and a caramelised depth to an otherwise simple dish!
- Dark soy sauce: just a splash of soy sauce seasons our fried rice, adding both colour and a hint of umami.
- Chilli crisp/ chilli oil: a spoonful dolloped at the end imparts shades of fiery heat. While you could use store-bought chilli oil, we are sharing our homemade recipes below too (they’re as quick to make as they are irreplaceable in our arsenal of pantry staples)
Tips For Serving This Garlic & Scallion Fried Rice
- You could enjoy this dish on its own or served with a fried egg on the top.
- You could also pair this dish with other Asian dishes from our archives, such as tofu or stir-fried veggies.
Garlic & Scallion Fried Rice
- 2-3 tbsp any neutral-flavoured cooking oil
- 7-8 cloves garlic,thinly-sliced
- ⅓-½ cup spring onions/ scallions, finely-sliced
- knob of ginger, grated
- 1-1½ cups cooked rice (preferably leftover rice which is a day old)
- 1-2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp chilli crisp/ chilli oil
- Start by heating any neutral-flavoured cooking oil.
- Add the garlic and spring onions/ scallions. Grate a generous knob of ginger in. Gently stir and let it all cook until the garlic is golden.
- Set aside a few of the golden garlic chips for garnish.
- Then toss in 1 – 1.5 cups of rice.
- Season with dark soy sauce and chilli crisp / chilli oil. Mix well to combine and taste to adjust.
- Serve hot with more scallions and the caramelised garlic cloves on top; and DIVE IN!
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: