Have you ever added soy sauce to your fried eggs before? The result is nothing short of revelatory , adding shades of umami to elevate a humble one-pan dish.
As with most of my favourite breakfast recipes – this one comes together in under ten minutes. What’s more, it requires just a handful of ingredients including chilli oil, which props up these eggs with its fiery depth of flavour balanced by the subtle-sweetness of the soy sauce.
You can have these eggs as breakfast , brunch, lunch, dinner or even a late-night snack – that is to say, they taste just as delicious at any point in the day! As for the perfect pairing, these fried eggs are the epitome of comfort when piled over rice , but equally good over ramen or even toast for a simple yet soul-stirring snack.
That this recipe has racked up over two million views (and counting at the time of archiving this recipe here on my website!), is a gratifying testament to the universal love for this minimal effort, high-reward dish!
Ingredients For Making These Soy Sauce Fried Eggs
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Chilli oil or any oil of choice.
I’ve linked my homemade chilli oil and chilli crisp recipes below
- Scallions/ spring onions
- Sesame seeds
- Soy sauce
- Brown Sugar
Steps For Making Soy Sauce Fried Eggs
- Start by whisking together soy sauce with a splash of water and a dash of brown sugar/ sugar of choice. Set this aside.
- Next, cook onions and green onions/ scallions along with a few cloves of thinly sliced garlic in chilli oil (or any cooking oil of choice). You could also stir in seasonings of choice, such as gochugaru (crushed red pepper flakes) and sesame seeds.
- Once the onions are fragrant, it’s time to crack in your eggs in the centre of the pan.
- Cook the eggs to your desired consistency. Then pour the sauce on top. Let it sizzle for a few minutes, then serve the cooked eggs over rice , noodles or even on toast!
- You can garnish the dish with more chilli oil , scallions and/or sesame seeds.
Soy Sauce Fried Eggs With Scallions
- 1 tbsp chilli oil (alternatively: use sesame oil or any neutral-flavoured cooking oil of choice)
- ⅓-½ onion, finely sliced lengthwise
- 2-3 tbsp scallions/ spring onions, sliced lengthwise
- 2-3 tsp sesame seeds
- 1-2 tsp gochugaru/ chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp water
- 1 tsp brown sugar/ jaggery (swap in sugar of choice)
- Start by whisking together soy sauce, water and sugar until well-mixed. Set aside.
- Gently heat a splash of chilli oil or any cooking oil of choice.
- Sauté onions and green onions sliced lengthwise and a few cloves of thinly sliced garlic.
- Stir in sesame seeds.
- Once the onions are fragrant and translucent crack your eggs in the centre.
- Once cooked to your desired consistency, sprinkle more sesame seeds on top and pour in the soy sauce mixture.
- Serve the fried eggs hot off the skillet, over rice / noodles or even toast.
- Garnish with more chilli oil and scallions if you'd like.
If You Liked These Soy Sauce Fried Eggs,
You May Also Enjoy Browsing…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: