You could serve this creamy mushroom sauce as a dip or toss it with pasta. I enjoy it best simply slathered on sourdough with my morning coffee!
This is a quick one-pan dish that comes together without fuss. The flavours are well-balanced – earthy, rich in umami yet creamy with a zesty zing from a splash of lemon juice.
As ever, you can adapt this recipe as you’d like, stirring in your favourite herbs and choice of mushrooms. What’s more, you could also swap out some of the cream for milk if you prefer a lighter version that is just as rich in flavour.
Ingredients For Making This Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Mushrooms: you can use any you like!
- Lemon / lime juice, not only does this add a zing but it also deglazes the pan after the shrooms have caramelised
- Seasonings (red chilli flakes, salt, pepper)
- Fresh or fried herbs (oregano, thyme etc)
- Cream or a combination of cream and milk
- Parsley (for garnish)
Tips For Serving This Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Piled on sourdough
- Served as a dip, with crackers/ crusty bread on the side
- With pasta: just add your cooked pasta at the end, with a few ladles of the pasta cooking water to loosen the consistency. You could also add more parmesan if you wish!
- With noodles: just add your cooked noodles at the end, with a few ladles of the noodle cooking water to loosen the consistency *and* 1 tbsp soy sauce + dash of balsamic vinegar (yes really!)
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may also enjoy these other variations with mushrooms:
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms of choice (thoroughly cleaned and dried beforehand)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tsp oregano
- 2-3 tsp chilli flakes
- black pepper
- ½ cup cream (and/ or milk; see below for how to substitute some of the cream for milk)
- ¼-⅓ cup parmesan
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften, then stir in the lime juice and minced garlic, along with the seasonings – black pepper, salt, oregano and/ or chilli flakes. You could also add fresh thyme if you have it.
- Cook for a few more minutes , until the mushrooms are golden brown and have released most of their water.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of cream *or* 1/4 cup cream + 1/4 cup milk (for a lighter option).
- Mix well to combine, then add parmesan (as much or as little as you'd like)
- Let the sauce simmer until it has thickened but is still creamy (you can add more cream or milk to loosen it up if required). Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley and DIVE IN!
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: