Shared by the fabulous film-maker and accidental holistic cook Shaana Levy-Bahl, this easy Paleo chocolate cake recipe is deliciously-rich, moist and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Just don’t tell anyone that this cake is gluten-free, dairy-free and even grain-free because they won’t believe you. It simply tastes too good to be classified as healthy!
Over to Shaana, as she dives into the depth of her Paleo lifestyle, explaining what makes this cake so special before revealing her go-to recipe for this winning chocolate cake.
Packed with heart-healthy fats and nutrients from almonds, coconut oil and dark chocolate, one would even go as far as saying that this cake is good for you.
This dessert is also classified as “Paleo” which is the diet I have been following for the last five years for health reasons. In a nutshell, Paleo is about eating real, naturally occurring ingredients that are healthful rather than harmful. Biologically, our bodies respond best to real, whole, nutrient-dense foods that are packed with the nutrients to help our bodies thrive.
Today, wheat, soy, sugar, and highly processed foods continue to drive up rates of autoimmune disorders, cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes, and obesity. The paleo diet asks you to eliminate processed foods, refined sugar, gluten, grains, dairy, legumes and nightshade vegetables – sounds like a long list but once you realise you can eat chocolate cake like this one, it doesn’t feel restrictive at all !
While every person is unique and there is no one-size-fits-all diet, there are many reported and studied paleo diet benefits that are worth discussing.
Reported Benefits of a Paleo Diet
- Increased and more stable energy levels.
- Improved sleep.
- Clearer skin and healthier looking hair.
- Mental clarity.
- Improved mood and attitude.
- Improvements in those suffering depression or anxieties.
- Less or no bloating, decreased gas.
- Sustained weight loss.
Easy Paleo Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 150 gm 85% dark chocolate (you can change this depending on sweetness levels you wish to achieve)
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ – ½ cup maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like your cake)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate icing
- 1 bar of dark chocolate (100-150 gm) * (Shaana uses Mason & Co dark chocolate)
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
Method to make the cake:
- In a bain marie melt the chocolate and coconut oil (or butter) together on low heat. Once melted set aside to cool.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder, sea salt and cocoa powder) together.
- Beat the egg, maple syrup and vanilla until frothy.
- Slowly mix together the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Finally fold the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes. Use a wooden toothpick to check for doneness.
Method to make icing:
- Once the cake has cooled, make the icing in a Bain marie by melting the coconut oil and chocolate on low heat. Stir constantly.
- Cool the melted chocolate icing for 5 minutes before pouring over the cake to cover it fully.
- Decorate cake with edible flowers, chopped nuts or toasted coconut flakes
About Shaana Levy-Bahl
Mother-of-one, Shaana Levy-Bahl believes in the power of story-telling through her two passions: food and film. As a film-maker, she shares inspirational stories of women who have overcome incredible odds, with her most recent work ‘Ladies First’, a Netflix Original Documentary Short about the Indian archer Deepika Kumari.
Having battled ulcerative colitis, an autoimmune disease, Shaana is also an accidental holistic cook tapping into the healing power of food through a self-taught approach towards creating delicious Paleo meals and desserts. She has taken to sharing her knowledge to support those who suffer like she has, or anyone who would simply like to creatively support their personal gut health without sacrificing taste! Find her recipes on her Instagram @shaanalevy
Liked This Paleo Chocolate Cake Recipe?
You may also like to browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.