There’s a new superfood set to take pride of place in your pantry. Tigernut flour.
Before you ask, yes – it is nut free. It’s paleo, grain-free and plant-based too, milled entirely from whole tiger nuts. For the unfamiliar, tiger nuts are marble-sized tubers – ancient root vegetables which grow in West Africa and some parts of Spain.
Naturally-sweet, with a subtle nuttiness – tiger nuts are packed with flavour, fibre and nutrients. It’s also quite low in calories – 20% lower in fact than even almond flour! Is it any wonder then that Strp’d‘ tigernut flour is our new go-to ingredient for healthier baking, especially as it can be replaced 1:1 for regular flour.
If you’re looking for inspiration to start using it, Strp’d have shared a too-good-to-be-true recipe for vegan Nutella muffins, baked with their tigernut flour. Enjoy!
- 1 and 3/4 cups tigernut flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup raw maple syrup
- 1/3 cup avocado oil/coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nutella (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 165ºC
- Whisk the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar together and let it sit for a few minutes
- Beat together the above mixture with all wet ingredients (maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla) in a large bowl
- In another bowl, mix all dry ingredients (tigernut flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt) until no lumps remain
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until smooth
- Fill muffin liners two thirds full and then swirl in nutella. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Transfer to a cooking rack and cool completely before devouring
Follow Strp’d on Instagram @strp.d
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: