The classic combination of cheese and corn is a staple side-dish at Korean restaurants, as well as making a regular appearance at Korean BBQs. This humble vegetarian dish rather hits the spot on a rainy day here in Bombay too, coming together in under fifteen minutes from start to finish.
As with all my go-to recipes, this one is startlingly simple! Just mix together corn and bell peppers with a mayonnaise-based seasoning and cook it over melted butter, topping off with fresh mozzarella. When you uncover the lid of the skillet (a mere five minutes later), you’ll find that the cheese has gloriously melted all over the creamy corn, making for a side dish that is as comforting as it is decadently-delicious.
Adapting this recipe
Feel free to play around with the base recipe for this Korean corn cheese, perhaps adding more veggies to the corn mixture. If you do so, you might want to cook the mixture for a little while longer before topping off with the cheese (otherwise, the cheese will melt before the veggies have cooked through).
The quality of cheese used makes all the difference in this recipe – while shredded Amul cheese will rise to the occasion just as well, do use a good quality mozzarella for the melted stringiness it imparts to this dish (I get mine from Big Basket or Foodhall).
How to serve this dish
Serve this Korean cheese corn hot off the stove in the skillet itself. It tastes wonderful when had on it’s own, but you can also layer it over hot toast or crackers. A dash of hot sauce on top is never amiss, if you’d like to balance the creaminess with a spicy slant.
Korean-Style Corn Cheese
- skillet/ cast-iron pan
- 1 cup boiled corn/ tinned corn, drained
- ⅓ cup red bell peppers, finely cubed
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sugar
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded/ grated (can increase/ decrease depending on preference)
- Add the corn, bell peppers, mayonnaise and sugar to a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Mix well until combined and the corn and bell-peppers are evenly coated with the seasoning.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet/ cast iron pan over medium low heat.
- Add the seasoned corn mixture, gently spreading it around the skillet.
- Top off with the cheese. Cover the skillet, reducing the heat and allowing the mixture to evenly cook through and the cheese to melt.
- Serve hot, with a dash of hot sauce on top!
Liked This Korean Corn Cheese?
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: