The classic combination of cheese and corn is a staple side-dish at Korean restaurants, as well as making a regular appearance at Korean BBQs. This humble vegetarian dish rather hits the spot on a rainy day here in Bombay too, coming together in under fifteen minutes from start to finish.
As with all my go-to recipes, this one is startlingly simple! Just mix together corn and bell peppers with a mayonnaise-based seasoning and cook it over melted butter, topping off with fresh mozzarella. When you uncover the lid of the skillet (a mere five minutes later), you’ll find that the cheese has gloriously melted all over the creamy corn, making for a side dish that is as comforting as it is decadently-delicious.
Adapting this recipe
Feel free to play around with the base recipe for this Korean corn cheese, perhaps adding more veggies to the corn mixture. If you do so, you might want to cook the mixture for a little while longer before topping off with the cheese (otherwise, the cheese will melt before the veggies have cooked through). Speaking of which, the quality of cheese used makes all the difference in this recipe, with a good quality mozzarella highly recommended for the melted stringiness it imparts to this dish.
A dollop of gochujang or hot sauce is optional, but never amiss if you fancy adding shades of heat to offset the creaminess of this dish with a fiery touch!
How to serve this dish
Serve this Korean cheese corn hot off the stove in the skillet itself. It tastes wonderful when had on it’s own, but you can also layer it over hot toast or crackers.
Korean-Style Corn Cheese
- skillet/ cast-iron pan
- 1 cup boiled corn/ tinned corn, drained
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup red , yellow and/or green peppers, finely diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1½-2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½-1 tbsp gochujang/ sriracha/ hot sauce (optional)
- 1-2 tsp gochugaru (crushed Korean red pepper flakes)/ chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded/ grated (can increase/ decrease depending on preference)
- Start by melting 1-2 tbsp of butter in a non stick pan/ skillet.
- Add the onion, minced garlic and finely diced peppers. Cook for a few minutes until the onion and garlic are fragrant; and the peppers have started to soften (but have not lost their bite!)
- Stir in Gochujang, gochugaru, mayo and sugar. Mix well so that the corn mixture is evenly coated, then spread the mixture out in an even layer.
- Add heaps of shredded mozarella or any melty cheese on top/ or 2 slices of processed cheese. Cover and let it cook until the cheese has melted.
- Serve hot and enjoy – you can serve it as is, or paired with crusty bread or crackers for scooping.
Liked This Korean Corn Cheese?
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: