When life gives you ripe avocados, one usually ends up making avocado toast. The alternative possibilities however, are endless and equally (if not more) delicious! In fact, one of my favourite ways of making quick work of a fresh avo is by shaping it into a vegan ceviche.
Traditionally made from raw fish, ceviche is a signature Peruvian dish cured in fresh citrus juices and spiced with seasonings such as ají and chilli peppers. The hero ingredient in my vegan spin on a South American specialty is Yuzu, a subtly-sweet yet zesty Japanese citrus with elegant notes of tangerine and lime blossom. In an ode to Nikkei cuisine (a fusion of Japanese and Peruvian ingredients and recipes), Yuzu is complemented by an ensemble of underrated Japanese ingredients including togarashi, a complex seasoning made up of various chillis and spices.
I won’t claim credit for this treasure of a recipe, which has been curated by a dear friend and epicure, Avni Biyani (the vision behind Foodhall India). Do save and try it out the next time you have a ripe avocado or two on hand!
Vegan Yuzu Avo Ceviche
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil *
- 1 tbsp Yuzu extract *
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Japanese mayo
- togarashi (for garnishing) **
- black/ white sesame seeds, toasted (for garnishing)
- Mix together the Yuzu, soy sauce, sesame oil and Japanese mayo. Taste and adjust as required.
- Cut the avocado into cubes, or into an avocado “rose.” To make an avocado rose, simply slice the avocado thinly, then fan out the slices before curling in the ends towards the centre, as illustrated in the video below.
- Pour the dressing over the avocado and garnish with togarashi and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox:
Tried this recipe today and it turned out great. My family and I loved it!
So thrilled to hear that, thank you for sharing your feedback!
This is nothing but a salad! Without fish there’s no ceviche
Love this recipe. It’s become a family favourite😊