By popular request, brunch-spiration returns with a vegan recipe from Foodhall Cookery Studio.
Packed with protein, this tofu scramble is as close as it gets to scrambled eggs in texture. Assembled on grilled pita (or a bread of your choice) with a deliciously-nutty Tahini based dressing – it’s full of flavour, proving that healthy really can be delicious too!
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1.5 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp Red chili, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Crushed black pepper to taste
For the tofu scramble
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp Chopped onion
- 1 tsp Red chilli or 1 tbsp red jalapeño chopped
- 2 tbsp Canned tomato paste
- 120gms Silken tofu
- Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Chopped coriander for garnish
- Cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Microgreens for garnish
- A couple of leave of arugula for the toast
- 1 pita bread
- Olive oil for grilling
- Use any bread of your choice as the base; here, we’re using pita bread. Add some oil and grill it on a sandwich griller or pan-sear the same.
- While the bread is grilling, make the vegan spread with tahini or vegan mayonnaise, Sriracha, chopped red chillies, green chillies, a generous squeeze of lemon juice; and season with salt & pepper
- For the scramble tofu, heat a pan with some oil.
- Sauté chopped onion, red chilli, ginger and chopped green chilli until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, Sriracha sauce and cook the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Lightly scramble the tofu (extra firm or firm) with your fingers and add it to the mixture. Stir evenly for another minute. Do not overcook it.
- Turn the flame off and garnish with fresh coriander, a generous squeeze of lime and a pinch of salt & pepper to season the scramble.
- Serve immediately over the toasted bread of your choice. Start by smearing the vegan spread over the bread, layer it with arugula leaves and finally top it with the tofu scramble. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and micro greens.
About Foodhall Cookery Studio:
Tucked away at the top of Foodhall@Linking Road, Foodhall Cookery Studio (FCS) is an experimental kitchen and a contemporary venue for cooking classes and workshops. Since the lockdown, FCS have started hosting virtual cook-alongs via Zoom. Discover their globe-trotting line-up of upcoming classes here. | Instagram @FoodhallCookeryStudio
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries