The delicate elegance of crêpes are a subtle canvas for the intensified flavours of roast veggies in Chef Gresham Fernandes’ Modern European recipe from The Foodhall Cookbook by Foodhall India. Made with buckwheat flour, these thin French crêpes are a great gluten-free dish, apt for brunch or a vibrant lunch. The crowning glory is of course, the decadent dose of parmesan fondue heaped on top!
Buckwheat Crêpes With Roasted Vegetables And Parmesan Fondue
For the crêpes :
- 1 cup / 250 gm buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup / 60 ml milk or as required for the batter
- 2 eggs
- pinch of Arqa nutmeg
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp / 5 gm ghee
For the roasted vegetables:
- 1 onion, not peeled
- 2 tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 zucchini, diced into big pieces
- 3 tbsp / 45 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- ½ tsp / 2½ gm fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp / 2½ gm oregano
For the parmesan fondue :
- ¼ cup / 60 gm parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup / 125 ml milk
- ½ cup / 125 ml cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- For the crêpes, mix together the buckwheat flour, milk, eggs, nutmeg, salt and ghee to a smooth batter; add more milk if required. To make crêpes, heat a non stick 12 inch – skillet over medium heat; lightly coat with butter. Add ⅓ cup batter and swirl to completely cover the bottom of the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the underside is golden brown. This makes about 6-8 crêpes. Store between clean, damp, kitchen cloths to prevent drying.
- For the roasted vegetables, heat the oven to 250°C/ 480°F. Roast the whole onion (without it being covered in foil) till soft. Remove, peel and cut into quarters; keep aside. Do the same with the tomatoes till the skin bursts and are slightly brown. Peel, chop and store the onion. Roast the pepper till soft and brown. Peel, chop and store the juices. Oil and season the zucchini; roast the same way.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan; add the garlic and cook till light golden. Add the roasted vegetables and cook, covered, for 15 minutes on low heat. Add the parsley, oregano and seasoning.
- For the parmesan fondue, heat the milk and cream in a pan till it just comes to boil. Remove and keep aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, add the grated parmesan, return the pan to heat and warm the sauce again, whisking well. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Stuff each crêpe with the roasted vegetables and top with the parmesan fondue or serve on the side.
THE FOODHALL COOKBOOK
Curated by India’s leading gourmet and lifestyle store, Foodhall India, The Foodhall Cookbook brings together a medley of globe-trotting recipes from a roster of well-known and much-loved chefs in the country. All ingredients are available at Foodhall India.
BROWSE MORE RECIPES FROM FOODHALL
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: