If you’re keen on vegan Italian cuisine, a classic arrabbiata pasta is a dish you ought not to miss out on in your repertoire of recipes! This signature spicy pasta is made by simmering garlic, dried red chilli peppers and tomatoes in a heavy glug of olive oil to intensify the flavours with shades of heat.
While you can use blanche regular tomatoes for this recipe, I’d recommend going the extra mile with San Marzano tomatoes which are set apart by their perfect balance of sweet, tart and acidic flavours. This rich variety of canned plum tomatoes is now available in India, via Urban Platter, my go-to source for most pantry essentials including superior quality olive oil!
Vegan Arrabbiata Pasta
- good glug of olive oil (2-3 tbsp)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes (can adjust depending on preferred spice level)
- 400 gm San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaves
- oregano & capers (for garnish)
- pasta for choice
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted water until just shy of al dente. Drain, reserving some starchy pasta water.
- Heat olive oil and sauté red pepper flakes until fragrant. Then add in your onion and garlic, stirring to cook until fried and golden.
- Add in your San Marzano tomatoes and tomato paste. Pro tip: “rinse” the can with some of your starchy pasta cooking water to capture the full flavours of the tomatoes.
- Continue cooking on medium low heat (for about half an hour), stirring regularly with a wooden spoon to help break down the tomatoes.
- Stir in fresh basil once the sauce has reached your desired consistency and season with salt, pepper and sugar if required.
- Add the cooked pasta , tossing until evenly coated with the sauce.
- Plate up and garnish as desired ; I love sprinkling lots of oregano and capers to keep this a vegan friendly recipe!
- San Marzano Tomatoes: https://urbanplatter.in/product/urban-platter-san-marzano-whole-peeled-tomatoes-in-tomato-juice-400g-14oz-drained-weight-260g-dop-tomates-pelles-dans-le-jus-product-of-italy/
- Olive oil: https://urbanplatter.in/product/urban-platter-premium-extra-virgin-olive-oil-can-5-litre-hand-harvested-olives-imported-product-of-crete-greece/
Enjoyed This Vegan Arrabbiata Pasta?
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: