From mango tiramisu to mango and blue sticky rice, there’s been no dearth of fun mango-centric dishes on TFD this summer, more often than not, putting a creative spin on classic recipes! If you enjoy experimenting with a fusion of fresh flavours, here’s yet another recipe you have to put on your list to try: Thai Mango Slaw Salad Cake!
A mouthful to boot, but astonishingly simple to assemble, this beautiful salad comes together with red cabbage (the pillar ingredient of a slaw), ribbons of carrot and freshly-cut mangoes tossed together with a dressing that’s part sweet, part salty, part savoury and just a tad spicy. You can serve it as you would a regular salad, but if you really want to up the ante and impress your guests, why not present this side dish in the form a salad cake to elevate your dining table!
How To Make This Thai Mango Slaw “Cake”
- Start by stirring together the ingredients for the salad. Taste and adjust seasoning as per preference.
- Next, place a ring mould on your serving plate and carefully place the prepared Thai Mango Slaw within it, pressing down gently so that it sticks together and takes the shape of the mould. Top with more mango cubes.
- Gently lift the ring mould et voilà. Your salad cake is ready! Garnish as desired – I love adding black sesame seeds on top, but you could also add a sprig of basil or kaffir lime leaves.
Thai Mango Slaw
- Ring mould
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, spirallised/ peeled and curled into ribbons/ shredded
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1½ tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- sea salt & pepper (to taste)
- Add the red cabbage, carrot and mango cubes to a mixing bowl. Pour the sweet chilli sauce, light soy sauce and lime juice on top.
- Toss everything together until the salad is evenly mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now place a medium-sized food ring on a serving plate. Pour the salad into the mould and gently press the mangos on top.
- Gently the ring / mould and that’s it! Garnish with black sesame seeds and serve immediately.
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: