With the monsoons finally upon us, we’ve taken to sipping (read: slurping) bowlfuls of soup every evening.
Cosy, nourishing and full of warmth, our go-to recipe stars roasted pumpkins. Naturally sweet and spiked with paprika, this soup is perfect when paired with a grilled cheese toastie!
- 6 cups of cubed pumpkin (butternut squash would also work well)
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1/2 an onion, sliced in 2-3 cm wedges
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (sea salt is lovely if you have it)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- Start by preheating the oven to 200°C fan.
- Add the pumpkin, carrots and onion to a large enough mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, paprika and a good crack of black pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Transfer to a large parchment-lined tray. Wrap the garlic cloves in aluminium foil and find a cosy spot for it on the tray.
- Roast for 20 minutes until everything is tender and caramelised. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the veggies are cooling, put 1/2 litre of vegetable stock (or water) to boil in a large pot. Add a pinch more salt.
- Once it comes to boil, reduce the heat (to medium/ medium low) and tip in the roasted veggies & garlic, taking care to also pour in any leftover oil from the baking tray.
- Give it a good stir and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes or so, before removing from heat.
- Once cooled down, blitz everything until smooth. Serve garnished with a sprig of basil or toasted pumpkin seeds.
I’d love to hear from you! Do let me know if you try this recipe – leave a comment below; and tag me in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Still hungry? Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: