Stirring up a Thai curry is not difficult. The star ingredient you’ll discover is making your own curry paste from scratch. This homemade version of a Thai green curry paste trumps the store-bought bottle with its fragrant hit of fresh herbs and essential spices, adding a nuanced medley of flavours to your curry or any other recipe calling for creative uses of a Thai paste!
Thai Green Curry Paste
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 – 5 green chillies, finely sliced
- 2 stalks of Lemongrass, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 thumb-sized piece of Galangal, cut into small pieces
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves (cut into halves)
- coriander leaves (about half a cup)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- Add the toasted spices to a mixer with the remaining ingredients. Be sure to throw in the whole coriander leaves with their stalks for added depth of flavour. Blitz in the mixer until combined into a rough paste with texture. Chill overnight before using.
Pro tips for Making A Thai green curry
Now that you have you own homemade Thai green curry paste, here are a few tips and hacks to help you simmer the most authentic rendition of a Thai curry this side of BKK.
- In terms of ingredients, be sure to throw in a few whole pieces of birds eye chillies to infuse a spicy slant. Adding baby brinjals cuts this spiciness to palatable levels, while including pea brinjals releases aromatic flavours.
- Vegetable stock: coconut milk: Use a 1:2 ratio, adding a ladle of vegetable stock for every 2 ladles of coconut milk. You can easily create your veggie stock at home using leftover peels; and make your own coconut milk by blitzing fresh coconut flesh, coconut water and a cup of water in a powerful mixer/ blender.
- Add palm sugar or jaggery to adjust the level of sweetness.
- Add a splash of light soy sauce (not dark), to lend a salty hint of umami, coming as close to fish sauce as possible for vegetarians.
Of course once you’ve made your own green curry paste, there’s a whole lot more you can do with it, apart from just making Thai curries! Why not add it to soups and stir-fries, grilled foods or noodles too?
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: