While there are no 100% guarantees or prevention / cures for bacterial infections or for viruses, by eating well and keeping a healthy gut – we can tremendously help to strengthen our body, significantly reduce the severity of infections and recover faster.
Keeping this in mind, Natural Chef, Adria Wu has shared her recipe for an Immunity Grain Bowl, carefully choosing ingredients which are oxidant-rich and immunity-boosting (think turmeric and garlic) and promote good gut health by channelling high fibre, as well as pro- and pre-biotics (yogurt and bulgur).
Pack in your Vitamin C and E, Beta Carotene and Selenium by throwing in cavolo nero, kale or broccoli, while a dash of oregano and thyme lends a powerful antibiotic and anti-viral boost. Finish with a gorgeous garnish of ginger, hazelnuts, pumpkin and/ or sunflowers for their anti-inflammatory properties (not to mention their delicious crunch!).
Stay home, stay safe, eat well and be happy.
- 350g coarse bulgur wheat (or another grain such as brown/ wild rice or quinoa)
- 2.5L water and salt generously
- 150g cavolo nero (you could also swap this with broccoli, kale or even red peppers – any bright coloured veg works), bite sized
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric powder (or fresh turmeric if available)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme or oregano leaves, chopped (otherwise used 1-2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 300-400 ml water (to cover chicken in pot)
- 2 generous pinches of salt
- 2 chicken breasts, 400g (vegetarians can swap this for chickpeas or firm tofu)
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 200g natural yoghurt
- 100g hazelnuts, crushed (or pumpkin or sunflower seeds)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil salted water and cook bulgur for 20-25 mins until al dente. Once cooked, add cavolo nero (or broccoli or kale) to same pot and lightly cook veggies for 2-3 mins. When ready, drain excess water. (If using alternate grain, follow instructions).
- Combine marinade ingredients in a pot. Cook chicken breast in marinade on medium heat for 15-20 mins covered (flip the chicken half way through cooking). Once cooked, remove from liquid and shred with two forks.
- Reduce marinade liquid uncovered on high heat, until a thick sauce is remaining. Take off heat and add sliced onions and yoghurt.
- Combine bulgur cavolo nero mix, chicken and yoghurt dressing. Season with salt and pepper and serve with hazelnuts on top.
- You can serve the dish either hot or cold (if you need to you can easily reheat the grain and chicken on a pan, then add the dressing).
- If you want to make the dressing ahead of time, it can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- If you don’t like raw onions (although immunity benefits are best raw), pickle the onions with 1 tbsp white / cider vinegar, pinch of salt and cover with hot water.
About Adria Wu:
Born an raised in Canada, Adria left the corporate world to study at Le Cordon Bleu in London and the College of Naturopathic Medicine, with her insatiable hunger for cooking (and eating), leading her to launch Maple & Co, a healthy eating concept with 8 locations across London (and counting).
Adria has long since been a contributor to the Kitchen Inspiration series on The Foodie Diaries, sharing recipes which make eating well deliciously easy!
I’d love to hear from you! Do let me know if you try this recipe – leave a comment below; and tag me in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Still hungry? Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: