There’s nothing quite as simple nor as satisfying as a well-done stir-fry. Your choice of sauce of course makes all the difference, adding a nuanced notch of flavours to a depth of dishes.
From the spicy slant of Sichuan to the punchy kick of black pepper – Foodhall Cookery Studio have shared their surefire recipes for whipping up an arsenal of Asian sauces. Bookmark these as essentials for elevating your next home-cooked supper!
- 200gm Chilli Paste (One With Kashmiri Chillies Works Best)
- 40gm Garlic
- 30gm Ginger
- 40gm Onion
- 1 Stick Celery Finely Chopped
- 1 Pc Star Anise
- Oil As Required
- 30gm Sugar
- Salt & Vinegar – To Taste ( Preferably White Vinegar)
- Boil the dried red chillies until softened and deseed it. Drain off all the water and let it sit. Make a coarse chilli paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan – add oil, garlic, onion, ginger, celery and cook until browned; add chillies, sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Add oil as required .
- Store it in a fridge for a week.
- 2 Tablespoons Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Garlic Clove, Finely Minced
- 2 Teaspoons Sesame Seed Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce (more Or Less To Taste)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Tbspn Soy Sauce
Put all the ingredients into a blender and blitz to a smooth liquid. It’s as simple as that.
Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 200ml Sweetchilli Sauce
- Lemon Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander
- 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
Combine all the ingredients together and rest it overnight. Use the next day.
Black Pepper Sauce
- 30ml Oyster Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 10gm Black Pepper
- 10gm White Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
Combine all the ingredients together and cook until simmered. Add cornstarch for thickening.
Stir Fried Vegetables With Black Pepper Sauce
Pick a combination of your favourite veggies; we suggest:
- 100gm (cut 1/3) Snap Peas
- 1 Bud Broccoli (Florets)
- 100gm Baby Corn (Slant Cut)
- 2 Bunches Pakchoy (Roughly Cut Slant )
- 100gm Bean Sprouts
- 1 Pc Carrot (Cut Diagnal)
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- Add ginger, garlic and oil to a pan. Cook until golden brown.
- Add tossed vegetables, starting with the stiffer vegetable first (carrot, sprouts, broccoli, beans sprout, pakchoy)
- Finish with black pepper sauce and cook on a high flame, taking care to ensure that the vegetables do not leave water and lose moisture. Serve with spring onions & a sesame garnish on the top.
About Foodhall Cookery Studio:
Tucked away at the top of Foodhall@Linking Road, Foodhall Cookery Studio (FCS) is an experimental kitchen and a contemporary venue for cooking classes and workshops. Since the lockdown, FCS have started hosting virtual cook-alongs via Zoom. Discover their globe-trotting line-up of upcoming classes here. | Instagram @FoodhallCookeryStudio
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries