If you fancy a decadent dose of chocolate, there’s nothing which rises to the occasion quite like the bean-to-bar creations and artisanal specialities of La Folie Real Chocolat, helmed by chocolatier and pâtissier, Chef Sanjana Patel. If you know, you know the intense richness of her signature hot chocolate, not to mention her handcrafted pastries set apart by an exquisite elegance!
Here she shares with us, her deliciously-easy recipes for an eggless chocolate cake; chia almond and vanilla panna cotta; and (hurrah!) for a comforting cuppa cocoa. Bookmark these as essentials you’ll be turning back to time and time again.
Eggless Chocolate Cake
- All purpose flour: 158 g
- Baking soda: 5 g
- Cocoa powder: 37 g
- Castor sugar: 167 g
- Salt: 2 g
- Water (cold): 168 g
- Canola oil: 87 g
- Vanilla extract: 5 g
- Apple cider vinegar: 12.5 g
- Sift dry ingredients i.e. flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Add sugar & mix.
- With a help of a whisk, mix in the canola oil, water, apple cider vinegar & lastly the vanilla extract.
- Pour into a baking tray and bake at 170C for 13-15 mins or till completely baked.
La Folie’s Hot Chocolate
- Almond milk: 130 g
- Stevia: A pinch or sugar as required
- Natural unsweetened cocoa powder: 15 g
- 85% dark chocolate Lindt: 20 g
- Vanilla extract or cinnamon for spice: 2 g
- Combine all ingredients together in a sauce pan.
- Give it a gentle boil and whisk till it thickens.
- Pour in a mug. Dust with cocoa powder or sprinkle chocolate shavings on the top.
- Relax, sip and enjoy!
* Recipe can be adapted to suit a ketogenic diet.
Chia, Vanilla and Almond Panna Cotta
- Almond milk: 500 g
- Stevia: 6 g
- Agar agar: 1.75 g
- Vanilla bean: 2 g
- Chia seed (soaked): 50
- In a sauce pan mix the almond milk, chia seeds and vanilla bean. Give it a gentle boil & add the stevia & agar agar.
- Keep boiling till it thickens like custard. Blend well with a hand blender.
- Pour into demi sphere molds or small glasses and set in the refrigerator.
- Garnish with fresh fruit and serve!
Explore more tips, tricks and recipes from your favourite chefs, restaurants & food writers, as part of my Kitchen Inspiration series, here. | You can also sign up to my newsletter for a bi-monthly bulletin on the latest word in food, travel, culture, life and style… Click here to subscribe.