There are few desserts as uplifting as Torta Caprese.
A traditional recipe from the Isle of Capri, this classic Italian Chocolate and Almond Cake was legendarily created by mistake, as it had been made without flour! Today, it’s an excellent gluten-free alternative, featuring grounded almonds.
Danilo Cortellini‘s rendition below is decadently-dense and deliciously-chocolatey. With a crunchy sheathing that gives way to reveal a moist centre, its texture is not unlike that of a brownie! Serve it as it is or with a dusting of icing sugar. Alternatively, it pairs wonderfully well with fresh strawberries and vanilla Chantilly cream!
- 300 g ground almonds
- 250 g dark chocolate (55%)
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 5 eggs
- 200 g granulated sugar
- Whisk together the eggs with the sugar for at least 5 minutes, until the mixture becomes foamy.
- Meanwhile, start to chop the chocolate into small pieces with the help of a food processor. Melt the chocolate in a bowl, over a “bain-marie”.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add the butter to the chocolate and stir until it is melted and smooth. Remove from the heat, so as to avoid the butter from splitting. Set aside.
- Once the egg mixture is well-whipped, carefully add the ground almonds (to the egg mixture) whilst taking care to avoid lumps and losing the foamy consistency.
- Once the eggs and almonds mixture is smooth, slowly add the melted chocolate and butter. Mix until creamy.
- Take a cake tray or a round mould, lining it with baking parchment and slowly pour the mixture in. Spread it evenly.
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees and bake the cake at 160 degrees for at least 40 minutes. When checking in on the cake, look out for the crust which should appear on its surface. Taking a toothpick, have a poke inside – the cake shouldn’t be runny at all, only very moist. Once the cooking time is up, remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Un-mould the cake, and put on a serving tray. Dust with icing sugar and serve!
Born in Abruzzo – a small region of Italy rich in culinary tradition – Danilo Cortellini was always destined to become a chef. Travelling through Italy, he worked with Michelin-starred restaurants such as San Domenico and Perbellini, before going on to work at three Michelin-starred Alain Ducasse restaurants in London, eventually becoming Head Chef at the Italian Embassy. In 2015 Danilo took part in MasterChef: The professionals and made it to the final.
http://www.danilocortellini.com/ | Connect with Danilo on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Explore more of Danilo’s recipes
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Browse More Recipes
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox:
Hi can I get replacement for eggs please
Hi Riddhi! It’s very difficult to make this recipe without eggs given that it’s flourless. Eggs are what give this dessert structure and richness. However I do have lots of other eggless recipes on my website