If you’re keen on Korean cuisine, you might instantly recognise this spicy chilli oil cucumber salad as inspired by the classic banchan (side dish) – Oi Muchim. Oi means “cucumber” and muchim means “mixed” with this small plate constellating on a refreshing pile of crisp cucumber seasoned with a medley of spices.
My rendition puts a sizzling spin on this classic dish with a sizzling chilli oil as the base. The flavours and ingredients are much the same as in the original, with this recipe largely set apart by the preparation which takes a quick-fix chilli oil as its starting point.
Tips For Preparing The Chilli Oil Cucumber Salad
You will need large cucumbers for this recipe. Dice them into this rounds , sprinkle lots of salt and leave it be for half an hour so. After this time, drain out the excess moisture. This hack ensures more crisp cucumbers!
Key Ingredients For Making The Base Chilli Oil
- Minced garlic
- Chopped scallions/ spring onions
- Gochugaru (Korean crushed red pepper flakes)
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Sesame oil
- Dark soy sauce
- Rice vinegar/ white vinegar
- Brown sugar
Feel free to adapt and adjust the measurements and ingredients mentioned below, recalibrating them to your taste and spice threshold, for instance adding more Gochugaru (Korean crushed red pepper flakes) if you like your chilli oil hot!
Spicy Chilli Oil Cucumber Salad
- 2 large green cucumbers
- 1 small white onion (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp spring onions, chopped
- 2-3 tsp gochugaru (Korean crushed red pepper flakes)
- ½-1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Dice the cucumbers into this rounds , sprinkle lots of salt and leave it be for half an hour so. After this time, drain out the excess moisture (this hack ensures more crisp cucumbers!)
- Add the garlic, spring onions, gochugaru and sesame seeds to a heat-proof mixing bowl.
- Gently heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil and pour it on top letting the “chilli oil” sizzle for a few minutes. Then give it a mix and stir in the rice vinegar, dark soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Add your cucumbers to this spicy sauce along with a small white onion, cut lengthwise. Mix well until the cucumber and onion slices are evenly coated. Refrigerate before serving!
Enjoyed This Spicy Chilli Oil Cucumber Salad
You May Also Like To Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: