This is not just a chocolate cake. This is a liquid chocolate cake with a brownie-like shiny and crinkled top, giving way to a centre that is quite literally oozing gooey melted chocolate.
A creative spin on a sticky Swedish chocolate tart (if you know, you know Kladdkaka), this decadent dessert by Le Cordon Bleu-trained pastry chef Bianca Manik is everything about a good day baked into one incredibly Insta-worthy treat. Much like all the treats she regularly whips up at her French-inspired patisserie, Blanchette actually!
If you’re looking for a step up fix to satiate your chocolate cravings, bookmark this as the recipe for you.
- 260 gm high Quality Dark Chocolate about 70% dark
- 70 gm butter
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 5 gm salt
- 3 eggs
- 40 gm cornstarch
- 50 gm cocoa
- 15ml kahlua/ rum (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C. Grease an 8 inch baking tin with melted butter/oil and set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate over a double boiler (place a heat proof bowl with these ingredients on top of simmering water). Take off the heat once melted.
- Sieve the salt, cornstarch and the cocoa powder in a separate bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until they begin to look pale (This is what gives the cake it’s flaky crust!)
- Once warm, whisk in the butter and chocolate mixture with the eggs.
- Add all the dry ingredients, and kahlua/rum (optional) into the mix, gently folding it in.
- Pour into the greased tin and bake at 180°C for 10-12 minutes or until the surface begins to set! Allow to cool for 5 minutes, serve warm.
ABOUT BIANCA MANIK
Bianca Manik is a pastry chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu in London and School for European Pastry in Mumbai. She believes in baking cakes that should be eaten under your covers, just so that you don’t have to share any of it! She currently runs Blanchette, a patisserie based in the heart of Mumbai.
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – leave a comment below; and tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Still hungry? Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: