As those near and dear to me know, there’s no institution I hold more sacred than that of brunch.
So it’s only fitting that it forms the theme on which to resume the Kitchen Inspiration series on this blog (I know, I know… it’s been a while!) with Ketel One’s uniquely heady take on this weekend tradition.
Far from your average recipes, Ketel One have partnered with cocktail experts, Delightful Drinks and the ever-so-creative Hannah Pemberton (behind The Kitchen Alchemist) to curate a vibrant variety of brunch dishes, each paired with a quirky twist to a classic Bloody Mary… And it’s all bloody perfect for ongoing festive celebrations at home too!
Over to them…
The Carrot Mary
An exotic mix of Ketel One Vodka with freshly pressed carrots, apples & pears, fresh orange, Asian spices & strong heat.
- 35ml Ketel One Vodka
- 100ml equals parts of carrot, apple & pear juice
- 30ml freshly squeezed orange
- 1 pinch of rock salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
Add all ingredients to the glass, stir well, add ice, garnish with long flat slice of ginger and fresh red chilli and enjoy!
Paired with: Carrot pancakes with Greek yogurt
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2)
For the pancakes
- 130ml milk
- 135g plain flour
- 1 large egg — lightly beaten
- 30g melted butter
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 medium carrots — peeled and finely grated
For the rest
- 300ml Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp honey
- A handful of your favourite berries
- Black pepper
- Butter for cooking
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, and in a separate bowl mix the egg, melted butter and milk together.
- Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients and mix together until the lumps are gone, then add the grated carrot and stir briefly to combine, set aside for a few minutes to rest.
- Add a dollop of butter to a medium/hot frying pan. Once the butter has melted, add some of the pancake mix into the pan, making pancakes that are about 1cm thick and turning them once they’re golden brown on each side.
- Serve topped with the Greek yogurt, berries and honey.
The Green Mary
A vibrant combination of Ketel One Vodka & green vegetables with celery, cucumber & lettuce, fresh lime, warming spices & a hint of heat.
- 35ml Ketel One Vodka
- 100ml freshly juiced equal parts of celery and cucumber
- 20ml freshly squeezed lime
- 1 pinch of rock salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and chilli
- Half a vanilla pod
Add all ingredients to the glass, stir well, add ice, garnish with a salted cucumber slice and vanilla pod and enjoy!
Paired with: Chimchurri fried eggs and salmon bagels
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
For the bagels
- 2 bagels
- 600g smoked salmon
- 4 free range eggs
- Black pepper
For the dressing
- A handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
- A handful of fresh coriander
- ½ red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp jalapeno / half a deseeded chilli
- Zest of ½ lemon
- A scrunch of sea salt
- 80mls extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Finely chop the dressing ingredients and mix together until super smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, add some more salt or lemon / vinegar if required.
- Start toasting your bagels. Add a dollop of butter and some olive oil to a frying pan and heat on a medium-high heat. Once the butter melts, crack your eggs and cook on a medium heat until the whites are nearly set.
- While they’re cooking, top the bagels with the salmon, then take the eggs out of the pan and place them carefully on top of the salmon.
All ingredients are available to buy in a ready prepared ‘shopping basket’ using this link at Ocado.
You had me at chimchurri fried eggs and salmon bagels, sounds delightful!
Ooh do let me know how the recipes work out if you try them !
Brunch 100% deserves every bit of accolade it gets 😀
Could not agree more!