Mapo Tofu Szechuan Peppercorns
A signature Szechuan dish of tofu, mushrooms and green beans with a spicy twist, this is a classic recipe to add to your repertoire of home-cooked Asian dishes!
- 1 ¼ cups /300 gm silken tofu, diced into big pieces
- 5 tsp / 25 ml sesame oil
- 2 tsp / 10 gm ginger, sliced
- 2 tsp / 10 gm cloves garlic, sliced
- 50 gm or 25 gm jalapeños, sliced or green chillies (adjust the spice level as desired)
- 6 ½ tbsp / 100 gm mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup / 60 gm green beans, cut
- 6 ½ tbsp / 100 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml sambal oelek
- 5 tbsp / 75 ml oyster sauce
- 2 tsp / 20 ml dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp / 15 gm Arqa Szechuan peppercorns, freshly ground
- 4 tbsp / 60 gm corn starch
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Heat the sesame oil in a pan on low to medium heat; add the ginger, garlic and jalapeños or green chillies (as desired); sauté until fully cooked.
Add the mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add the green beans and sauté for another minute. Add the vegetable stock, along with the sambal oelek, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and Szechuan pepper; mix well. Bring to the boil.
Add the diced tofu and heat through.
Make a slurry with the corn starch and quickly stir in to prevent the mix from forming lumps.
Serve hot, garnished with sliced scallions and a dash of sesame oil.