Paleo Brookies (Flourless Brownie-cookies)
A paleo-friendly recipe for brownie-esque dark chocolate cookies. Yes, these are gluten-free, dairy-free and free of refined sugar too!
- 1 cup creamy almond butter (Shaana uses the unsweetened almond butter from The Butternut Co)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar (alternatively, use monk sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (Shaana uses The Natural Vanilla Extract from Sprig Gourmet)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free or vegan, if desired)
- Sea salt, for sprinkling on top
Preheat oven to 190C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine the almond butter, coconut oil, coconut or monk sugar, vanilla and eggs; mix together until smooth.
Add in cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Finally fold in the chocolate chips.
Roll cookie dough into balls (you can use an ice cream scoop to measure it) and place on baking sheet.
Flatten each ball with your hands until they are about 1/4inch thick. Sprinkle cookies with sea salt. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are firm but the centre is just about set. Do not over-bake these cookies or else they will become dry. Let the paleo brookies cool down completely before reaching for your first piece. Enjoy!