A humble non-recipe recipe gone viral is typically telling of societal needs at large. We’re all looking for quick-fix dishes that are as simple as they are richly-rewarding. Cue the craze for chilli oil eggs across Instagram and Tik Tok – a humble two-ingredient affair that takes less than five minutes to throw together. It was only a matter of time before I started tinkering with twists to elevate this superlative compilation of flavours without detracting from the beautiful simplicity of it all. As with most culinary trials , mine are always a bit of a pantry-raid process and with half a block of feta still fresh in the fridge, it was but natural to crumble it ever-so generously over my recent breakfast. The resulting chilli oil and feta fried eggs were nothing short of spectacular; and as the explosion of my recent Instagram reel goes to show (with close to seven million views and counting!), it’s certainly captivated the imagination of many a fellow foodies too!
But, first: What’s So Special About Chilli Oil Eggs?
Eggs cooked in a pan sizzling with chilli oil soak up the searing flavours and spice of the oil. They’re crisp and crunchy around the edges, but soft and pliable on the inside, setting themselves apart by their unique unison of flavours and textures. Yes, they can be had in a number of ways too – they taste just as delicious over leftover rice, as they do piled atop toast or even ramen.
How To Make Chilli Oil & Feta Fried Eggs
- Start by spooning a splash of chilli oil or chilli crisp into a non-stick pan. You could optionally add in sliced scallions and/ or sesame seeds too.
- Crack in the eggs and once they’ve started to cook, crumble as much or as little feta as you’d like on top.
- Cook the eggs to your desired consistency and serve as you’d like; I’d definitely recommend sliding these over crusty sourdough !
It’s really as simple as this.
As another fun variation, you could add the feta cheese to the pan along with the chilli oil at the start of the cooking process. The feta will essentially melt into a creamy dreamy puddle of melted cheese, over which you can crack the eggs. The beauty of this method is that the melted feta has a crisp char to it, adding a lovely texture to your fried eggs. I’ve included the non-recipe recipe for his hack below and you could also watch the reel here.
Which Chilli Oil Do You Use?
Now this is a question that I am asked a lot!
While you can definitely use store-bought chilli oil , I’m popping my homemade recipes below. They take as little as ten minutes to stir together and promise to be the most sought-after condiment in your kitchen!
Chilli Oil & Feta Fried Eggs
- 1-2 tbsp chilli oil/ chilli crisp
- 2 eggs
- scallions / spring onions (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Heat a splash of chilli oil/ chilli crisp in a non-stick pan.
- Optional : stir in scallions/ spring onions and sesame seeds.
- Crack in two eggs. Once they start to cook, crumble feta on top.
- Let the eggs cook to your desired consistency, then take off heat and serve immediately.
- Heat a splash of chilli oil
- Crumble in as much or as little feta as you’d like over the chilli oil.
- Once the feta has all but melted into a creamy puddle, crack in your eggs and let them cook through to your desired consistency.
- Finish with more chilli oil if you’d like and garnishes of choice!
Enjoyed This Chilli Oil & Feta Fried Egg Recipe?
You May Also Enjoy Browsing…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: