This classic marble sponge cake ranks high in my repertoire of best eggless recipes. After all, for all the elaborate and extravagant cakes in the world, there is something to be said about the simple but unabashed joys of a classic marble cake streaked with a beautiful blend of soft vanilla and intense chocolate.
The base of this recipe is a classic vanilla sponge cake batter. All you need to do is divide it in two, mixing half the vanilla batter with cocoa powder et voilà. You have a chocolate batter at the ready to swirl into this sumptuous sponge cake. It’s distinctive appearance is a visual treat at any table set for tea!
Tips For Baking The Best Eggless Marble Cake
- Do use a good quality vanilla extract: Most of what you’ll find on the shelves are poor or even fake imitations, flavoured with synthetically-produced vanillin (the key flavour compound in real vanilla). Needless to say if you’re not using the real thing, you’ll fall rather short of the complexity that pure vanilla extract can add. I use Sprig’s Extract of Natural Bourbon Vanilla, which I highly recommend for its signature flavours of Madagascan Vanilla Beans. Read more about the uses of vanilla extract (including beyond baking!), here.
- Don’t over-mix the vanilla batter: If you over-mix the batter when folding in the dry ingredients, you will inevitably end up with a dense texture instead of the light and fluffy one we are going for to make the best eggless marble sponge cake!
- Don’t over-do the swirls: Be gentle when marbling the batter – don’t overdo the swirls, as this will be a sure-shot way of muddling the chocolate and vanilla flavours.
- Don’t over-bake this cake: Keep a close eye on the timer, as you will want to remove this cake when the tops are golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out mostly clean, with a few moist crumbs attached. This is a small-batch recipe, intended to be baked in a 6″ cake tin or small loaf pan. If you are doubling the ingredients to bake it in a larger baking tin, do note that it will take longer to bake.
Eggless Marble Sponge Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp butter
- 2-4 tbsp caster sugar (adjust depending on desired sweetness)
- ½ cup condensed milk
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate batter
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1-1½ tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 6” round cake tin/ equivalent loaf pan, greasing well. Set aside.
- Stir the vinegar into the milk and set aside.
- Beat the butter, condensed milk and sugar together until soft and creamy.
- Whisk in the vinegar & milk mixture. Stir in the vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients into this wet mixture and gently fold until combined. The batter will be thick-ish. Don’t over-mix as this will result in a dense cake.
To make the chocolate batter
- Mix the cocoa powder and hot water in a bowl until smooth . Then add in half the cake batter, whisking until smoothly combined. Don’t over-mix.
Marble the cake
- Alternate between dropping the vanilla and chocolate batters into the cake tin. Use a toothpick to make swirls across the batter. Don’t over-swirl if you’d like a distinct pattern.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 23-25 minutes; a skewer inserted in the centre will come out mostly clean, with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let the cake cool down completely before slicing and serving!
Enjoyed This Eggless Marble Cake Recipe
You May Also Like to Browse…
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: